When using the clip tool in the parcel fabric, is it supposed to erase the stated area in surrounding parcels?

01-16-2024 07:33 AM
Labels (1)
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

In the image below, parcels 25B, 15B, and 14B (Selected) had a boundary that was just completely incorrect. Not sure where it came from, to be honest, because I have been unable to find a 

MatthewBeal_1-1705418953826.png

We got a new plat in for surrounding parcels (the red ones with COGO) so I drew those in. Since the boundary was so wildly inaccurate I just figured that I would clip that area out, rather than aligning it since there were far too few points to do so and it was too far away to make the align features point feasible. 

After doing the clip, however, the stated area and the area unit of those three parcels was nulled out. Those two fields were set to <Null> for some reason and I can't figure out why. Is this an expected behavior?

I've attached a short gif that showcases the issue. Please let me know if I am missing something. Thank you!

MatthewBeal_0-1705419290136.gif

3 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewBeal 

I assume this is a 'quality-driven' workflow =  you want to correct the geometry of the 3 selected parcels:

• Keep their attributes
  • Not creating any parcel lineage (historic parcels)

If this is correct, why not just shrink those parcels to seeds, modify their boundary lines ad then use Reconstruct from seed?

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I mainly went with the clip in this instance because it would have been substantially quicker than deleting and redrawing lines on a different record. I just found it odd that it cleared out the stated area for those parcels. Seemed like an unintended behavior but I could be wrong. 

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

This also happens in cases where a portion of a neighboring parcel is ceded to the current record like in the example below:

MatthewBeal_0-1705673072460.png

After doing the align and clip, the stated area and stated area units was nulled out of TP D 02 023B. This is annoying because I then have to cut on the historic layer to find out what the acreage for that parcel was and then figure out the new acreage. 

MatthewBeal_2-1705673765107.png

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought on other parcels, when something was clipped out of it, the area that was removed was automatically subtracted from the stated area of the parcel it came from. I could be mistaken on this. Either way, I'd rather it do nothing if it is only going to <Null> out the area fields and make me have to dig them back up. 

0 Kudos