Limit to number of parcels created by a 'Record'

02-06-2023 02:23 PM
Labels (1)
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello All,

Is there a limit and/or threshold to the number of parcels (Created Parcel Count) that can be created from a particular 'Record?' 

In our organization we have 17 'Records' were the 'Created Parcel Count' > '100.' We two 'Records' were the 'Created Parcel Count' > '700.' For the latter two, I have noticed some odd behavior.

1. After shrinking the parcel to seed, I have noticed extended build times ('Build Active'). Builds can last up to and past 5 minutes. This is contrary to normal build times which are usually just a few seconds.

2. A subdivision 'Record' with a 'Created ParceI Count' = 1324. I can shrink a parcel (a lot) but it will not allow me to 'Build' the parcel (lot). Instead I receive the attached message (first attachment). I tried using the GP tool but the parcel still does not build successfully. However, if I try first try 'Build Extent' I will receive the same error message but a slightly different GP tool appears (see 2nd attachment) when clicking 'Yes.' This slightly different variation allows me to successfully 'Build' the parcel (lot).

3. Another scenario for a 'Record' that has a 'Created Parcel Count' = 739. There is one very large, multi-part that I can shrink but it will not 'Build' using the command or the GP tool. I tried exploding the parcel and then rebuilding but that still failed. The only solution I was able to do for this parcel was to create a new 'Record' assign all the features (lines, polygons), shrink the parcel, and then build. 

Do my comments above seem like normal behavior? Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I am using ArcPro Version 3.0.1 and Enterprise 10.9.1. 

Tags (3)
1 Reply
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I've had similar experience with Records with large feature counts on all versions since 2020. When I first implemented pro fabric, I had a 7k+ record for parcels with no record. "No Record". Performance was pretty poor in the beginning of pro fabric anyway, but that massive record really slowed it down. Just think, every time you Build Active or do anything with records/validation/fabric workflows, it is probably running through the whole list of related parcels and validating/building each parcel, line, and point related to that record. The smaller the better.

I'd see if there is a way to parse down those feature counts a little. I think your performance would noticeably increase. 

Side Note; I also experienced a very distinguishable drop in performance with Administrative Boundaries. If I have an annex and create a retired parcel for the entire city limits, tax districts, school districts, and county Parcel Types, that one record is now associated with every single administrative vertex for 4 different Parcel Types over an area of 700 sq miles. 

I really like Esri's documentation, blogs, videos, and webinars for Pro Parcel Fabric and I think the team does a really great job listening and addressing issues, but I think some more overall best practices could be laid out somewhere.