Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it misleading displaying aerial imagery under parcel data?

Jump to solution
04-05-2024 10:02 AM
Labels (2)
VogtBoat
New Contributor III

VogtBoat_0-1712336080001.png

I am concerned regarding the use of aerial imagery underneath our county parcel fabric data. While I have noticed that many counties do not display their Parcel Fabrics with underlying aerial imagery, our local practice has been to include it. This method is well-received by our community; however, I worry it might convey a misleading level of precision and accuracy.

We already have a GIS disclaimer in place, but I am considering whether adding a tile layer that displays a "parcel geometry is for general reference only" message at closer zoom levels would be beneficial or just excessive.

What are your thoughts on the best approach to balance tradition and clarity?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

We have a splash screen and that's been good enough for us. See it at https://delta.clatsopcounty.gov/apps/ClatsopCounty/ I think in 7 years we've had to tell people what it means maybe twice. Your idea of a watermark is good but for us, it would be solving a problem we don't experience.

We leave the aerials turned off by default. You have to open the layers list and turn on the one you want. (We provide around 10 or 12, different areas and different years)

I have to say though I've seen areas in other counties where the aerials are much more misaligned than here. I might feel differently if I lived there?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

We have a splash screen and that's been good enough for us. See it at https://delta.clatsopcounty.gov/apps/ClatsopCounty/ I think in 7 years we've had to tell people what it means maybe twice. Your idea of a watermark is good but for us, it would be solving a problem we don't experience.

We leave the aerials turned off by default. You have to open the layers list and turn on the one you want. (We provide around 10 or 12, different areas and different years)

I have to say though I've seen areas in other counties where the aerials are much more misaligned than here. I might feel differently if I lived there?