Select to view content in your preferred language

deciding between file geodatabase and enterprise

Jump to solution
08-30-2021 10:51 AM
EricaCirigliano
New Contributor III

Hi, Parcel Fabric gurus,

We are a wildlife management agency, so we have an unusual use case for Parcel Fabric. We don't manage a fabric, and we have 3 users who need editing access very infrequently relative to other types of PF users. None of us will be working on the Parcel Fabric concurrently (we can enforce this informally), but we do need to access the same database, so we need it to be centralized. We have found that the record lineage and other functions in PF are key to effectively managing the agency's various holdings, despite the fact that we are otherwise not power-users.

Our organization has an Enterprise environment, but we do not use branch versioning for any other data in Enterprise. My concern in installing PF for Enterprise is that branch versioning will make it too complicated to use and maintain Parcel Fabric in the long term.  Having the data as a service and in our authoritative database would be helpful, however.

Is it possible to install Parcel Fabric in Enterprise and just not use branch versioning? Our other options, it seems, are:

1) create a fGDB in a server folder and use it from there

2) put our data in the Enterprise SQL db and use a database connection file (this was suggested by someone familiar with Enterprise but not so much with PF, so I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I include it here in case it is possible)

If anyone has any other ideas for this use case, please chime in.

Thanks,

Erica

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Erica,

We are happy to learn you find value in the parcel lineage and other parcel fabric capabilities.

It is possible to use a file geodatabase but then you lose access to live web services that can be exposed in any web map in your organization. 

If you don't need versioning and are willing to sacrifice live web services for an ETL process, a file geodatabase will suffice.

It is not possible to connect directly to a SQL server and edit the data ('direct connect').

Another Branch Versioning capability you will lose is the temporal capability - the ability to move to historic moments.

I would recommend starting with a file geodatbase and re-evaluate this decision in the future and/or if business requirements change or if your organization shifts to using branch versioning.

Amir

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Erica,

We are happy to learn you find value in the parcel lineage and other parcel fabric capabilities.

It is possible to use a file geodatabase but then you lose access to live web services that can be exposed in any web map in your organization. 

If you don't need versioning and are willing to sacrifice live web services for an ETL process, a file geodatabase will suffice.

It is not possible to connect directly to a SQL server and edit the data ('direct connect').

Another Branch Versioning capability you will lose is the temporal capability - the ability to move to historic moments.

I would recommend starting with a file geodatbase and re-evaluate this decision in the future and/or if business requirements change or if your organization shifts to using branch versioning.

Amir

EricaCirigliano
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply! We will start with a fGDB and stay tuned to the Parcel Fabric group since you all are quite entertaining.

0 Kudos