Select to view content in your preferred language

Align Parcels moving adjacent boundaries

09-01-2021 07:27 AM
Labels (1)
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm attempting to align two parcels and it's affecting adjacent/overlapping parcels. The parcels being affected are not editable or selectable, and yet Align Parcels moves the boundaries. 

This isn't the first time this has happened and I cannot figure out what the common denominator is that causes this issue. 

Before:

test1.png

After:

test2.png

I was trying to figure out a discrepancy with a street in this instance. The align parcels tool is not helping.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

The parcel fabric in Pro relies on spatial coincidence to determine which parcels features have to be modified when a point/line/polygon is modified. 

So if modify a polygon it will also modify its lines and move points. If one of those points is shared with another parcel type - it will also modify that parcel type. This is what we want as we do not want to start creating misalignment between parcel types.

When you turn off the topology, it will stop modifying coincident geometries - so be careful not to corrupt your spatial integrity.

Turning the topology off is useful when features that have to be separated from each other are coincident.

Another common issue is having very small gaps or overlaps that are not visible in a normal scale - they can become big when geometries move as they are not deemed coincident. We will have new functionality in AcGIS Pro 2.9 to help identify them.

I would:

1. Make sure the topological integrity is good - no tiny gaps/slivers in the data

2. Layers from other parcel types are editable.

If you are using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.0, 2.8.1 or 2.8.2 with feature services: there is a known bug where the rubber bending is not visible when you move/rotate/scale a parcel that is fixed with the ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 patch. The patch should be made available in the next couple of weeks.