Zoom to Point - ArcGIS Online Story Map

Jump to solution
10-04-2016 07:25 AM
TonyHerhold1
New Contributor II

I'm having an issue with one aspect of a story map I'm building. The following map is exactly what I'm trying to emulate:

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2016/refugee-camps/#

I believe it's a "Journal" template. When I build my story map, everything looks similar, but I am not able to get my map to zoom in to a particular point once I select it.  The point is selectable, but the extent remains full.

Is there a setting within the app builder?

Thanks!

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

When you are configuring the Story Map Journal in the Map Journal Builder you can see the following dialog when editing each section:

In the above image on the Main Stage tab select Location > Custom configuration and it will allow you in the Main Stage pane to pan/zoom to your desired location and then save that location.

Please let me know if this helps!

TonyHerhold1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply Katie!

I am able to get the map to zoom to the point when I select the project from the sections tab, but I'm still trying to get the map to zoom to each specific point when I click the point on the map itself. For instance, if I'm zoomed to the full extent and I click a point on the map, I'd like the map to then zoom to that specific point. The example map actually does this, but the only thing that happens when I click on a point in my map is that the popup box comes up (map extent stays the same).

Thanks!

Tony

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

I've found that the ability to zoom to a point by clicking on it at the full extent was a customization added by the Story Map's author. This was done by editing the template's source code. 

Although this is not currently available in the out of the box Story Map Builder if you would like to customize the Story Map Journal source code yourself I can get more information about how this was done.

Best,

Katie

CarrieSherk
New Contributor

Hi Katie,

I would also be interested in this information (editing source code to allow for zoom to point ) to incorporate this functionality into one of my Story Map Journals. 

Thanks!

Carrie

0 Kudos