World ocean basemap vector files?

09-12-2020 10:35 AM
DavidCousins
New Contributor

Hi Esri community, hoping for some advice. I've been using the world ocean basemap as it provides higher detail on inland water bodies than any other map in the live atlas. Before I go ahead and manually trace a few thousand rivers and duplicate work that has already been done, I was wondering if there is any resource to 1) export the vector layers of inland water bodies from this raster file for my area of interest. Alternatively is there any resource that may include detailed vector layers of inland water bodies by country. So far I have tried the World_Water_Bodies pack but this only includes very large rivers and lakes and does not include the the small ephemeral rivers (wadi's) that the Ocean basemap includes. I have attached an image focused on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula showing the scale of detail of wadi's paths in a small portion of my AOI.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MargoStoney
New Contributor

David, I'm working on a similar project where I need to create vector files and isolate them to use in a design for several rivers in Oregon, US. I'm able to grab some of the larger rivers (I use the arcGIS x Adobe CreativeCloud plugin) but it seems I might have to manually trace the smaller ones to get enough detail to match the larger rivers. 

Did you ever find solution? I hope so! Otherwise, you might still be tracing these rivers two years later! 

0 Kudos