why won't my shape file download?

01-03-2020 05:39 AM
AlexandraColeman
New Contributor

I have created an excel spreadsheet and zipped the file.  When I went to download it came up with an error message saying unable to import this shapefile

Are you able to help please?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hi Alexandra,

Where are you trying to download the data from? ArcGIS Online? I would also be interested in your workflow, to see if I can reproduce the "Unable to import this shapefile" message on my end.

Based on the information provided, it sounds like you are attempting to upload or add a spreadsheet to your map. If you want to do this, you do not need to zip the file. When adding a zipped file to a webmap, the webmap is assuming it is a shapefile. Since your zipped file contains only a CSV/spreadsheet and not a shapefile, I suspect this may be causing the error message. You can add the spreadsheet to the map by simply by saving it as a CSV, then adding that CSV to the map.

Add layers to maps—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Best,

Megan 

AlexandraColeman
New Contributor

Hi Megan

Thanks so much for coming back to me. I am currently working on the free trial as I’m considering purchasing the student program.

I did try to add my file without it being zipped but it told me it needed to be zipped which is what I did and still didn’t work. I have attached the file we have been trying to add (the unzipped version).

Thanks again,

Alexandra

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

Alexandra Coleman‌,
When you say 'download it', do you mean that you're trying to add it to your trial version of ArcMap? Or are you trying to upload it to ArcGIS Online (via a web browser)? 

0 Kudos
AlexandraColeman
New Contributor

Hi

Adding a file saved on my Mac on to Arc-GIS using the ‘Add’ option

Thanks

Alexandra

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor
  • Click the Add Data button
  • Browse to your Excel spreadsheet
  • Double-click the Excel file and then click on the specific worksheet you want (i.e. Sheet1$)
  • Click "OK"

Your worksheet will be added to ArcGIS as a table (right-click context menu to open the table). Note: the data in your spreadsheet is not very well-formatted for use in ArcGIS because it essentially contains several mini-tables with different content on a single worksheet, as well as Excel graphics. It may not be very useful in ArcMap without some scrubbing and reformatting. 

0 Kudos