Why can't public accounts download maps for offline use?

03-12-2021 03:48 PM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am wondering if there are plans to support a public account being able to download AGOL maps for offline use. For example, will a user of the ArcGIS Explorer app who has logged into a public account be able to download a map for offline use anytime in the near future? 

If not, why not? 

We work with economically poor rural communities and would like to provide maps that folks can use to hunt and gather while they are outside of cell range (most of their environment). It is frustrating that we can get folks up to the point where they can see these maps while they are in town, but if they would like to use the maps out in the bush, where they need these maps, they are no long accessible. These folks cannot afford to spend 100 per year per person to make use of these maps. 

Seems a pity and I do not see the gain in the current business model, if that is the reason.  

b

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Depending on your organization, you might satisfy your needs through a grant. Here's a couple of links for you to consider:

Nonprofit program

Conservation grant

Either of those could be the shortest path to find a solution to your needs.

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bern, I appreciate the response. 

We are interested in providing access to offline maps to potentially hundreds of people and do not want to make them members of our organization so I do not think the charitable options will work for us. 

Do you know if the option to download maps for offline use is simply not in the planning pipeline for public account users? I am curious as to why if that is the case, but the more important issue is our own long term planning for such a solution and it would be helpful to know if ESRI is off the table or not.

Thanks again.

b

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Bob, 

I think we spoke about Mobile Map Packages in the past.  Would these be an option for your users?

Mark 

BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Howdy Mark, are you on the explorer team? That is what my memory is telling me.

I think a mobile map might work OK. What is the latest workflow on that? Can I provide a web link to download a mobile map package to a tablet or phone (e.g. to iOS Files) and then get ArcGIS explorer (with a public account login) to find it? The workflow needs to be very simple and can't require sideloading. Our target audience does not have a lot of access to technology beyond a cell phone.

One of the other complications we are working with is that we would like to link the map to a survey 123 form so we can get community feedback on the map and how they are using it, as well as identify priority areas for land management. My understanding is that survey123 forms area also not accessible, at least not very easily, when offline and logged in with a public user account.

Thanks again for looking in on this topic. I would be happy to talk more via phone or something to check in with you on some of the other challenges we are facing with the way AGOL currently works, or does not work, when trying to connect organizational content to public account users, especially privacy issues. I

b

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

A solution for you would be Hub Premium - it provides a way for you to deliver private access to a community of volunteers or other such constituents without having to manage them directly as members in your organization. They can use their own social accounts to authenticate and can only see the private content you allow them to see. This is a successful pattern used by many organizations and Hub Premium is also available under the grant links that I listed.

Hub Premium users come with the field worker user type, so they have access to all the field apps too.

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bern, we took Hub for a test drive about a year ago and it was a little frustrating, especially for the price. I will take another look and see what kind of improvements are listed in the changelog. Thanks again for your input.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I'd be curious to know of your frustrations, and can pass those on to the team. You can email me at bszukalski@esri.com if you'd like to send me feedback.

0 Kudos