Why can't I edit my domains in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
10-31-2018 01:06 PM
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

Hi All:

My map and application calls on a number of features that were originally created in ArcGIS Desktop in a geodatabase with coded domains. The migration to ArcGIS Online went smoothly, but I would like to make some adjustments. I understand that this summer, changes to lists are possible: Define attribute lists and ranges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS.

When I select "Edit" at the "List of Values (Domains)" (pictured in large screen grab below), I am permitted to make changes to to order of items in the list and change the text of items. However, the "Save" button always stays "deactivated." I can only click "Cancel." 

Any idea what is going on here?

One more piece of information. The feature service is owned by one organization and shared via a group. When loading up the shared map, I get an error message about the domain being "read only" in ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks for any advice!

PS - I find it strange that for a geodatabase that is uploaded to AGOL, one has to make changes to the "Domain" of each feature. This is a bummer because my water system dataset has many features that use the same field.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone:

I stumbled on the issue. In a specific domain of coded values for a list of street names, there was a duplicate code for one of the entries.

For example, the codes are formatted like this:

Main Street - MS

From data provided by another project partner, I input both "AB" and "RB" as options for the street name "Railroad Bed." The Desktop environment was fine with this but it was not okay with ArcGIS Online.

I simply had to delete one of the duplicate coded values and the domain/list started working as-expected in ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you own the layer?  If not, AGOL probably shouldn't be showing you the Edit button.

Is the layer being shared in a group with shared access and update?

In AGOL, lists (domains) are specific to individual fields. There is no concept currently of shared domains, like Pro has.

Mike

HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

Hi Mike:

The answer to the first question is yes.

A little bit more on the source of the data and workflow: the file geodatabase, domains, etc. were setup using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 and then published to an ArcGIS Online account that doesn't happen to have any Desktop licenses.

The layer is in a group with shared access and update. Here are the settings:

I ended up starting a support ticket on this issue. We determined that the integer coded domains are editable, but not the string coded domains. We also confirmed that there are no issues with editing the domains of the file geodatabase in Desktop. I'm going to continue troubleshooting this and will report back here.

Thanks for explaining the shared domain characteristic. 

Henry

HeatherWillever
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a work around for editing string coded domains?  Im having the same issue with the unclickable save button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

Yes, check the “correct answer” for this post. In my case when I published the feature, it let me do it with duplicate codes. I couldn’t edit/save the list in AGOL until the duplicate was changed. Good luck!

0 Kudos
HenryUnderwood1
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone:

I stumbled on the issue. In a specific domain of coded values for a list of street names, there was a duplicate code for one of the entries.

For example, the codes are formatted like this:

Main Street - MS

From data provided by another project partner, I input both "AB" and "RB" as options for the street name "Railroad Bed." The Desktop environment was fine with this but it was not okay with ArcGIS Online.

I simply had to delete one of the duplicate coded values and the domain/list started working as-expected in ArcGIS Online.