Why can't I create a new feature in ArcGIS Online on a layer I have created in ArcGIS for Developers? This happens periodically and particularly since the update to ArcGIS for Developers which has changed how layers are created.

06-05-2017 08:55 AM
SophieHorsley
New Contributor II

I have created a new layer in ArcGIS for Developers. Then in ArcGIS Online I set the extent to the UK. I then opened the layer in a new map with full editing control. I go to Edit, then New Feature. The tool allows me to draw the shape but then disappears.

I've tried using different spatial references and editing options. Where am I going wrong? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Sophie Horsley‌,

Try monitoring the edit requests to the service https://community.esri.com/groups/cats/blog/2017/05/04/monitoring-web-service-requests-from-web-apps...‌. In the response is there an error that indicates if the edit was successful or if it failed?

If it looks like the edits are going into the service but aren't displaying, change the symbology to display the location only and see if your items appear. There may be a symbology issue where none of the features fall within the symbology and thus don't display. As always, if you share the layer and web map we can take a look at it in more detail.

Style location—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
SophieHorsley
New Contributor II

Kelly,

I’m not a software person, but I’ve managed to navigate the monitoring network web requests and got the following error.

variable \"@Site\".\r\nMust declare the scalar variable \"@_NewFeatureID_\"."}}],"updateResults":[],"deleteResults":[]}

The problem is I don’t know what to do with it now!

Sophie

Sophie Horsley BA (Hons) MA MRTPI

Associate

Strutt & Parker LLP

269 Banbury Road

Oxford

OX2 7LL

Direct dial: 01865 366635

Mobile: 07471 226723

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Sophie,

Great work on getting the error message!

This shows that the service is not accepting the edit, as opposed to a display issue. The best way to get assistance on this will be to contact technical support or share the layer so we can see/access  the issue.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
SophieHorsley
New Contributor II

Thanks!

I’ve shared two layers. Here’s the links:

https://services7.arcgis.com/cGcx3wVghCJqcRoP/arcgis/rest/services/tysoe_ndp_site_allocations/FeatureServer

https://services7.arcgis.com/cGcx3wVghCJqcRoP/arcgis/rest/services/site_search_master/FeatureServer

Sophie Horsley BA (Hons) MA MRTPI

Associate

Strutt & Parker LLP

269 Banbury Road

Oxford

OX2 7LL

Direct dial: 01865 366635

Mobile: 07471 226723

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Sophie,

I was able to reproduce the issue earlier, but can no longer create problematic services. Can you try and recreate your services and see if you still receive an error?

When your services were created, a space was added in the field name for site ref and site name when there should have been an underscore. Can you test it out again with a space and verify that the underscore is automatically added?

If you are still running into the issue, can you provide the steps you follow to create your service?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
SophieHorsley
New Contributor II

Kelly,

I've created a test layer and the underscores were created and the layer works fine.

I've had the work flow checked by the UK ESRI team who said it's correct, but I've attached a powerpoint of it for you to review.

So long as I check that underscores are in place in the field names, should it work correctly in future?

Sophie

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Sophie,

The specific error message you were seeing was caused by the space in the field names. You shouldn't be able to create services that have that error. I followed your steps and can't recreate a layer with the same error. Were you unable to create a polygon in the test layer that you mentioned in  your power point?

If you can still create layers that aren't editable, this is an issue that should be reported as a bug and fixed.

-Kelly

0 Kudos