Why can't I add datasets to Open Data sites?

Jump to solution
09-05-2014 02:31 PM
SeanKearney
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to get started with an Open Data site and so far getting nowhere!  I am trying to start by simply allowing others to browse the datasets on the open data site and download them.  However, when I add an open data group to the site, it does not seem that any of the datasets have been added to the Open Data site. 

Here is the group I would like to add (it is currently publicly shared, with Open Data access allowed):

http://bit.ly/1qm4QGm

There should be two datasets in there, one is a hosted features layers, the other a web map with the same hosted features layer added to it (in case that somehow makes a difference!)

Here is the open data site I would like to add the group datasets to:

abesopen.sean-kearney.opendata.arcgis.com

I have added the group to the open data site and then tried many different things.  First, if I try to use a widget and add a dataset map widget, I get no list of datasets below the search bar.  Only a spinning wheel (and in Firefox a bouncing scroll bar.  Have tried with Firefox, Safari and Chrome.  Also tried with the open data site set to public or not, as per a related post.)  I have also tried adding a dataset ID, both from a hosted feature ID and from a webmap ID, both with no luck.

If I preview the site and search for a dataset, or browse all datasets, it says that no datasets are found.

Am I missing something, or is the ArcGIS Online Open Data platform still just really buggy?  Our organization was contemplating making a switch from GeoNode over to ArcGIS because we thought it would be less buggy, but so far no luck.  Need a simple solution soon to easily share some simple datasets among diverse project partners!  Any ideas, help or links to other threads would be much appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

13 Replies
JanePoole
New Contributor

I am having the same problem that I discovered on Friday the 18th. It was working a week earlier. Thanks for sharing this information.

0 Kudos
JurajMurcko1
New Contributor II

I have the same problem. Trying to add new datasets to Open Data site. I have the items on AGOL shared with public and with the Open Data group and all the item setting are the same as the settings of datasets (AGOL items) that are already added to Open Data site. So I click "Update Index" to add the new datasets from AGOL and I get pop-up with message:

but it is taking forever to finish although my datasets are several megabytes large. So far I didn´t manage to update them, the message is still there for hours.

0 Kudos
AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

Hello Juraj,

Have you ever found a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same behavior og Hub, my Data Manager tab with datasets and items is empty and 'Update index' process never ends. 

0 Kudos
JillMathias2
New Contributor

I too am having the same issues.  I have other datasets that have been apart of the open data application forever but adding new ones seems to be an issue.  They are in the shared open data group, shared the same exact way, show in the Hub Overview - data tab but not within the Open Data Application itself.  And as you have stated... the "Update Index" process never ends.

Solutions??

0 Kudos