when appending new data (points) in AGOL, the new points dont show up in the map

08-05-2019 05:26 AM
JamilHazim
New Contributor

Hi,

I have appended/added new data to my existing feature layer. In this case I have a feature layer with points and I have added new data (excel) via the append button, with x and y location (points). 

But these new points wont show up in the map. 

They are clearly in the table but not visible in the map.

Anyone know what to do ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamil Hazim‌,

I wanted to reach out to see if you have resolved the issue with appending data to your Hosted Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online. If you're still running into this, will you attach your Excel file here?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
JamilHazim
New Contributor

Hi Peter. I have not found a direct solution yet. I am trying to update it via arcgis pro. 

But here is my excel file that I used. I added row 6,7,8 to this excel and tried to update the hosted feature layer on Arcgis Online with the new excel. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamil Hazim‌,

Thanks for including the screen shot of your Excel Table. I created some similar coordinates on my end (for rows 2-5), but was not able to publish a Hosted Feature Layer. This was because the coordinates included are not in Lat / Long - I successfully published the Excel file as a Hosted Table (no location) in ArcGIS Online. This is likely what you are running into when trying to append the Excel table to the Hosted Feature Layer. The requirement for Lat and Long is documented here: Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

What is the current Projected Coordinate System that you're using? If you can convert those coordinates to Lat/Long then the Append should work. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

0 Kudos
JamilHazim
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

The coordinate system is RD NEW. I set it to RD NEW in Arcgis Pro and then I uploaded it. I have found maybe a better solution: Update the layer from Arcgis Online in Arcgis Pro. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamil,

Thanks for the response on this. I agree with you, I think updating the layer from Pro would be a requirement here as the spreadsheet coordinates are not in Lat/Long. Glad you found a solution to this!

-Peter

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't think you can add the data from a table and creating the point all at once. You are asking AGOL to look at numbers and understand they are lat, long, and also create a new point all at once. I would recommend doing this in multiple steps. Starting with your data, it looks as though that might be decimal degrees? You might have to convert that to Lat Long in order for Arc to read it. Secondly using the 'Display XY' feature on your table, from there you can append the data is creates into your shapefile.

0 Kudos