What is the Role of Author?

Jump to solution
09-09-2015 08:46 AM
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

I have the following Roles defined for our Organization:

Yet when I go into the "View Status" - "Members" section, I see a role called Author?

Where is that coming from?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hello,

After researching this issue further, it appears that there is an issue with how the user role is displayed under View Status" - "Members". The User role is displayed as Author in the View Status-Members panel.

A defect has been logged for this issue, BUG-000090620, which should be publicly available soon. Feel free to contact support services to be attached to the issue for further tracking.

Thanks,

Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Venus,

From the screenshots, it appears that you have users assigned to an Author Role that isn't appearing in your list of roles, is this correct?

If this is the case, please contact support services and we can look into this specific issue further.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Venus,

my guess is you (or someone in you organization) created it as a custom group, assigned a few users, and have since reworked your custom roles.  Since it isn't on your list or roles, can you assign those users to a different role? ​

the the thing I would be curios about is if the role doesn't exist, what permissions do they really have?  maybe whatever the role originally had sticks even if it doesn't exist anymore?  More my curiosity than anything a, so if you happen to find out more, please post here.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hello,

After researching this issue further, it appears that there is an issue with how the user role is displayed under View Status" - "Members". The User role is displayed as Author in the View Status-Members panel.

A defect has been logged for this issue, BUG-000090620, which should be publicly available soon. Feel free to contact support services to be attached to the issue for further tracking.

Thanks,

Kelly

VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

Kelly,

So I'd like to know what Rebecca asked: "what permissions do they really have? ".

This is critical to know as the Author role can:

Author—Content creators, in addition to the privileges of the analyst, create groups and publish hosted tile layers.

which is something we restrict unless justified! (Gotta watch those credits now don't we! LOL!)

Please advise...

KellyGerrow

Hi Venus,

The users who appear as Authors in the View Status" - "Members" panel actually have a default User role.

More information about the user role can be found in this documentation:

Organization roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

The user role has the attached privileges assigned:

UserRole.png

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Kelly