What is the best way to upload zip code polygons?

11-25-2019 11:43 AM
CatieFitzgerald
New Contributor

I have a list of clients that all own certain zip codes. I'd like to add a layer to my map that will shade out the zip code of the taken areas. I am totally new to ESRI, any help would be great!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JuanSantos
Esri Contributor

Hi Catie Fitzgerald

As a tip, to the current layer of polygons, in its attribute table, you can add a selected column "cod_post", for example, and then activate the labels according to the definition you want.

You can also in an excel table where you already have all the codes loaded, add a specified "ID" field and write the number as appropriate to the ID of the polygons that you already have drawn in a layer, all this so that you can then join both tables (excel table and attributive table) and the codes are related to each polygon. Finally you can export this layer and save it with another name to keep the area code column.

It all depends on the final product you want.

I hope I have explained

0 Kudos
CatieFitzgerald
New Contributor

HI Juan,

I really appreciate your response. Unfortunately, I am an extreme beginner and this is all going way over my head. 

At this moment I have a zip code list and what client of mine owns each zip code. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JuanSantos
Esri Contributor

Hi Catie Fitzgerald.

I recommend the technical article: Relating the attributes in one table to another—Help | ArcGIS Desktop.

I hope it helps 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Catie,

Are you working in ArcGIS Online? Is your list a CSV file or can you save it as a CSV?

If both of the above are true, I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be the following workflow:

1) Add a general Zip Code layer (https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html > sign in > Add > Search for Layers > USA ZIP Code Areas > add this to the map.

2) Then Add > Add Layer from File > your CSV/Excel File > match your zip code field to the Postal location type > Add. This will generate a point layer of zip code centroids. 

3) Join Features in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. Make sure the polygons are the Target Features and the points are the Join features. Choose Intersects as a spatial relationship, then accept the rest of the defaults. Make sure to check credit usage beforehand by clicking on "Show credits."

4) Symbolize the output layer differently on top of the generic Zip Code layer. 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

OliviaVisnic
New Contributor

Hi, how do I match my zip code field to the Postal location type?

0 Kudos