Select to view content in your preferred language

WAB app freezes

Jump to solution
04-26-2024 01:18 AM
AnLizeGCC
New Contributor III

Hi,

Has anyone noticed random freezes recently on WAB apps?

Since a week or so, our AGOL WAB app seem to freeze, apparently only under MS Edge Version 124.0.2478.51, quite randomly. Most of the users are impacted, some still go through without any issue. I cannot seem to identify what is the issue, nothing has changed in the app. It seems to be linked to Edge more so. So far no issue in Chrome or Firefox.

It freezes when validating the splashscreen, or accessing layer list widgets. You can try it yourself if you're curious (WARNING: this might freeze the whole tab). The tab then starts to have a high CPU usage for 30sec+ before being usable again. 

Any thought? Thank you.

https://galwaycoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3570e45b0e354cf0b740ecbc7505adb2

21 Replies
AnLizeGCC
New Contributor III

Hi @StephenNeal1 

I can confirm this. I tested different cases, the issue arises when having large polygons on the map, coming from a Feature Service. If the Feature Service contains multiple small polygons, it does not seem to create any issue. Map Server services are not impacted. 

I set up large polygon layers disabled by default in the mean time.

StephenNeal1
New Contributor II

Yes - we have Large Environmental datasets coming from Feature Services. also effecting our operational boundaries.

DionLiddellv2
New Contributor II

I've just done some informal testing with our WAB application and concur that this appears to be related to layers displaying large boundaries (polygons). Turning other layers on and off and panning around when these large polygon layers are on can induce freezing (CPU 100% in Edge performance monitoring). Turning the layers off makes the problem appear to go away. In New Zealand, the large polygon layers I'm referring to are related to regional and district boundaries; in other countries, it could be related to state and county boundaries or similar?

AnLizeGCC
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks for the helpful feedback. 

Yes, for us (in Ireland) what I call 'large polygon layer' is something around the size of a county, or down to a third/quarter of a county. The bigger, the longer the freeze I think.

RexNeville
New Contributor II

Thanks for the helpful info everyone. We also found that turning off the large polygon layers helped work around this problem. In our case it is a map service (not a feature service) but it is queried so the full geometry is returned not just an image.

Would still be good to have an actual solution so we can go back to using those polygon layers (Dear ESRI 🙂 )

AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

We're experiencing the same issue here as well, so giving kudos to all to push this up the ladder.

0 Kudos
AnLizeGCC
New Contributor III

I had a call with our distributor, Esri UK-Ireland, and they have several similar cases reported. It's been transferred to Esri Inc. for further analysis. 

0 Kudos
RedRiverPlanningGIS_Admin
New Contributor III

Seems to be happening to us too, across multiple AGOL organizations. 

I will note that Edge gets the "page not responding" error, however chrome and firebox appear to some severe performance issues (map is no longer responsive for 30~second) at the saame moment Edge would display page not responding. 

For us this is usually immediatly after using the search widget.  

I've tried different data sets, even downloaded the data and reuploaded with fresh web map and web app builder creation and same symptoms remain. Seems like something on the back end at ESRI to me, something this week changed.

0 Kudos
AnLizeGCC
New Contributor III

Status update on the bug case BUG-000167071 from Esri Inc. Hopefully patched soon!

AnLize_0-1714636089577.png

StephenNeal1
New Contributor II

Lets hope its quick!

0 Kudos