Very basic question about adding data to an ArcGIS Online map

Jump to solution
03-24-2022 03:51 PM
Labels (1)
PW3
by
New Contributor

I'm not a GIS professional and just have a free ArcGIS Online subscription, which I've used for a few very basic maps and story maps over the last few years. So I'm a very, very basic user of the system.

I just made a new map and added this layer from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c930d736b1764c259371fc7111e02740

I want to add some data about each of the geographic areas shown on that map. I created an Excel file (then converted it to .csv) that has five columns, two of which (COCNAME, COCNUM) match fields on that HUD layer. So if I can get the data into the map, it should line up with the Continuum of Care geographic areas. But I can't figure out how to do that. I found references to the "join" command in ArcGIS Online that sounded promising, but the instructions on this page:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012168

don't correspond to what I'm seeing in Map Viewer (Classic). The Details > Content tab on my map page just shows me the existing layers; there's no "Analysis" button.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.43.42 PM.png

I can add the csv file using the Add command, but then it just sits there as a separate layer; I can't click on the map and see the data about that geographic area.

Am I in the wrong mode on ArcGIS Online, or does my low-level subscription not support the Analysis features? Is this something I can do with the ArcGIS features I have access to?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like you have hit the limitations of a public account of ArcGIS Online.

You need an organization account to access these functionalities. No credits are allocated with the public account. Since the Analysis or creating hosted feature layers consumes credits, these capabilities are not available with public account.

Unless your organization has an ArcGIS Online subscription or planning to do so, you could either buy an ArcGIS for Personal Use annual subscription, or get a 21 days' free trial.

FAQ—ArcGIS Online Help | What are the ArcGIS account types and where can I use them?

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like you have hit the limitations of a public account of ArcGIS Online.

You need an organization account to access these functionalities. No credits are allocated with the public account. Since the Analysis or creating hosted feature layers consumes credits, these capabilities are not available with public account.

Unless your organization has an ArcGIS Online subscription or planning to do so, you could either buy an ArcGIS for Personal Use annual subscription, or get a 21 days' free trial.

FAQ—ArcGIS Online Help | What are the ArcGIS account types and where can I use them?

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Think Location
0 Kudos
PW3
by
New Contributor

Thank you, Jayanta, that makes sense. I just wish that the support pages would disclose which features are premium and require credits. Maybe that changes from time to time and ESRI doesn't want to have to keep updating their website with that information. Anyway, I don't work for an organization that uses GIS data; I just enjoy playing around with ArcGIS myself. I'll mark this project as not feasible for free public users. I can sort the data in Excel; it just would have been nifty to see it on a map!

0 Kudos