using published 2D symbols and styles in arcgis online web map

Jump to solution
03-17-2022 07:03 AM
Labels (1)
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

[This message was originally posted to https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

Hi Russell,
I’m eager to learn how to use my own custom symbology in my web maps with the new Map Viewer. I have created a new style with a few different point styles of my own, and have created a 2D web styles group and have shared my published style into that group. I’ve also created a new web map with a hosted feature layer and I’m running into snags when I try to apply my custom symbology to that layer. I’m not sure what I’m missing and would cure appreciate any help you could provide!

I’m not seeing the ‘beta symbols’ category under Symbols dropdown, or my custom point called ‘gate host’. If you could give me any pointers, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
~Allison

@RussRoberts 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

One more thing - did you set the group on the Org Settings page. I did a quick check and the lineage mapper style worked in my 2D Webstyle group.

RussellRoberts1_0-1647541677252.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the a screenshot of what you are seeing in Map Viewer and if you can share the style I can check it out as well.

0 Kudos
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Hey Russell, thanks for responding to my inquiry. Here's a screenshot of the symbols I'm seeing in map viewer. You'll see that the points are already a custom symbology because I published the feature service with the style already applied. But I'm not able to see my published web style  in the options for symbols. And here's a link to the style in my group: https://lineagemapper.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1303b438a2414136b71ca24338c77469

I sure appreciate your help!

Allison_Hockey_1-1647530732994.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you invite russell_jsapi into the group and I can check it out. thanks!

0 Kudos
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Done 🙂

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

One more thing - did you set the group on the Org Settings page. I did a quick check and the lineage mapper style worked in my 2D Webstyle group.

RussellRoberts1_0-1647541677252.png

Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Hmm.. I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I created a group and called it 2D Web Style and shared my published web style into the group. Do you mean I should go to my organization tab in AGOL and go to groups in there and click 'manage featured groups' and add my 2d web style group there? I didn't even this existed until now. I'll see if this works and let you know!  - - -→ Ah, I see now. I have to make the group viewable by my organization or everyone then go to organization tab, settings, map, then find web styles and assign the 2D web styles there. Didn't know that existed either lol 🙂 Thanks friend!

0 Kudos
Allison_Hockey
New Contributor III

Ok, I figured it out thanks to @RussRoberts ! I didn't know what I didn't know and I had to learn a few things in order to get there, but here's the steps I was missing:

1. you have to create a group for your style - and do follow Russell's advice in this blog post about creating separate style groups for 2D and 3D (I haven't done this yet but I'm sure this advice is solid)

2. You have to make sure the the group is viewable by either 'all organization members' or 'everyone'. Find this in Groups Tab→select your group→settings→Who can view this group?

3. Then you have to Organization tab→settings→Map on left menu→scroll down to Web styles, then select your 2D Web Styles group.

Whew! so glad I learned this today. Lots to look forward to with advanced symbology option in web maps 🙂 Thanks again @RussRoberts !

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

No sweat, Lines and Polygons are planned for later this year so more to come and more control on the symbols and their layers is also in the works 🙂 

0 Kudos