Use a pie chart as a symbol in AGOL

Jump to solution
05-01-2017 12:15 PM
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

I created pie chart symbols in ArcMap then published my service for use in AGOL. After adding the service to a new web map I noticed that the pie chart symbol was replaced by a black circle. Can pie chart symbols be published through a service? If so, do I need to do something special to save the symbology?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Good news, I was able to add my service with the pie charts. I had originally tried to add individual layers, which didn't work, but the pie symbols did work when I added all layers as a single service. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There may not be any charting symbology currently in AGOL, but you could have it in a pop-up. Configuring Layer Pop-ups – Adding Charts | ArcGIS Blog 

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my problem. I am using the pie chart to represent multiple programs at a single location. There are over 70 possible combinations so I'm trying to avoid importing individual images.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Andrea,

Pie chart symbology is not supported currently in ArcGIS Online. Using the chart widget is the best way to get similar functionality currently. Can you provide more details about what you are trying to map? Perhaps there is a way to display your data using a different style of smart mapping. Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Also consider promoting this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/8312 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Good news, I was able to add my service with the pie charts. I had originally tried to add individual layers, which didn't work, but the pie symbols did work when I added all layers as a single service. 

KellyGerrow

Hi Andrea,

Is this a dynamic map service hosted on a local ArcGIS server?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
AndreaConver
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

The service is hosted on an ArcGIS server, but it is not dynamic.

Andrea

0 Kudos
EstebanRomero1
New Contributor

Hi Kelly: 

Would you please explain how you loaded the layer as a service? I'm trying to do the same thing. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Kate,

I think aconver‌ used a map service which generated the pie chart symbology on the server instead of the ArcGIS Online Client. Do you have access to ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Enterprise?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
EstebanRomero1
New Contributor

Hi Kelly:

Thanks for responding. I am trying to share as a service, but I receive the following error, "Layer uses an unsupported renderer (Feature Service)." I'm going to see if I can turn the feature file into a picture next and see how that plays out. 

0 Kudos