Select to view content in your preferred language

Updating Web Map from ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
04-24-2024 06:37 AM
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, 

I have published a Web Map from ArcGIS Pro.  What is the recommended workflow to update this Web Map from ArcGIS Pro, given that is appears the same publish tool will not over write the previously published Web Map?

Thank you,

Tyler

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Once a web map is published, you need to find it in the Catalog. Right-click your map and select "add and open". This map maintains its link to the web map, and the sharing tab will give you the option to "save web map".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Once a web map is published, you need to find it in the Catalog. Right-click your map and select "add and open". This map maintains its link to the web map, and the sharing tab will give you the option to "save web map".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
TylerT
by

@jcarlson 

Ok, that went smooth, thanks.  Now to wrap my head around the workflow a bit here.  Does that workflow make the original ArcGIS Pro Map (used to initially publish Web Map) somewhat ephemeral just to get the Web Map initiated? 

In other words, should a recommended workflow look something like this:
-Create ArcGIS Pro Map 

-Share ArcGIS Pro Map as Web Map

-Catalog > Add and Open New Web Map (this is now authoritative and sync'd to ArcGIS Pro & Portal)

-Delete Original ArcGIS Pro Map (doesn't seem like this is needed any longer)

Tyler

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you've pretty much nailed it. Once the map is published, you can get rid of the original map from Pro and work exclusively with the web map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
TylerT
by

@jcarlson;

While the connection to the web map went smooth, I just caught a snag attempting to update the web map.  I have the web map open in ArcGIS pro, however the layers are now the image layers (_MIL), with no apparent way to modify symbology or labels (no context menus for those layers).  How can I update (tweaks to symbology, labels, etc) the web map connected ArcGIS Pro?   What is the best workflow to make symbology and label tweaks to a web map once it is initially shared as a web map?  Thank you,

Tyler

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you shared the web map, it sounds as though you may have created a map image layer rather than a web map. Map Image Layers can't be updated, they just need to be replaced, which makes them very obnoxious when you have symbology changes to make.

Unless they were map image layers to begin with? In which case, there's not really a nice and easy way to update those. But if you're wanting to make symbology changes to feature layers, the still ought to be feature layers in the saved map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
TylerT
by

@jcarlson et al,

Thanks for bearing with me.  So, I drilled down into the 'Share As Web Map' configuration to share feature, but the feature checkbox option is grayed out (along with others).  The test map contains a single layer to be shared and is an Enterprise Geodatabase Polygon Feature Class and will need to reference registered data.  There are no errors when running 'Analyze'.  

TylerT_0-1714167541277.png

Any thoughts on why the feature checkbox would be grayed out?  I assume this is what you suggested I should do.  Let me know.  

Thank you,

Tyler

0 Kudos
TylerT
by

From the docs, looks like I might need to share an editable map vice exploratory.   

TylerT_0-1714172347981.png

I'll give that a go and see I can manage your recommended workflow for creating a web map that is readily updatable (symbols, labels, etc...) from ArcGIS Pro.  Thank you. 

Tyler

p.s. I'm realizing that this should have been an Enterprise post instead of AGOL post.  Sorry about that.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I would suggest:

1. Publish all your layers to your portal however they need to be published
  2. Add the published services to your map
  3. Do "share as web map"

If you try to use "share as web map" with local layers, the process will need to publish those as well, and that can lead to trouble. When you share as a web map with already-published layers, things should go a little more like you expect.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos