Unable to upload zipped shapefile

08-28-2020 04:12 AM
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi

I am new to ArcGIS online. I have successfully imported zipped shapefiles into ArcGIS Online, but I have am struggling with 2 datasets. The geometry is correct, its singlepart polygons. I initially thought it was file size but I see in previous threads wrt this issue, file size was not a problem.

I have attached the zip file for your assistance.

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Bimall,

I successfully uploaded and published the zipped shapefile that you supplied in my AGOL organization. Can you provide more context regarding the errors you're getting?

After the upload fails, navigate back to your Content. Is the shapefile item created?

Thanks,
Josh

0 Kudos
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi Joshua

I have tried several different ways and I am unfortunately getting same error message.

Do you think wifi speed or band width plays a role?

Attached is the error message and a copy of the contents page.

I going to try and clip the data a see if it works.

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Bimall,

Ah, you're using a different workflow than what I was testing. When I do "Add Layer from File" in the Map Viewer, I get this error:

Try this workflow and let me know the results:

1. Navigate to your Content.
  2. Click Add Item > From your computer.
  3. Browse to the file. Check the box for "Publish this file as a hosted layer." Click "Add Item".

Does this work?

0 Kudos
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi

Thank you, your workflow, worked like a bomb.

I don't suppose you know the max file for the workflow I used.

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Great to hear! I found the technical article below and it explicitly says that zipped shapefiles over 10MB cannot be added directly to the map.

Problem: Receiving errors when uploading a shapefile to ArcGIS Online, Business Analyst Online, or C... 

Have a great rest of your day!

0 Kudos
Rossnagle17
New Contributor

I am also having problems uploading a zip file - I am trying to create a web map from a zipped shapefile on my computer. As far as I can tell the zipped file meets all the criteria necessary (less than 1000 records, less than 10mb in size, no special characters or spaces in the name etc), but I get an error message saying the file is too large. I tried the workaround listed above, and am able to add the file to my content, but I can't then add it to a web map, so that's not going to work for me! Please can you help?

0 Kudos