Unable to IMPORT Shapefile to ArcGISOnline Maps

04-24-2012 04:03 AM
TimothySmothers1
New Contributor
Have been attempting to import Shapefiles to an existing map in the product - it fails with any of the new ZIP's that I am attempting to load.  And even fails with old ZIP's that worked previously.  I have tried in IE8 and Chrome with the same message.  Chrome gives a larger report (see below)

Unable to import this shapefile. (Could not connect to net.tcp://10.115.184.119:20000/AnalyzerService. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:20.9982528. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.115.184.119:20000. )

My load is respecting the geography of the original data source.  Please advise if there is a problem with AGOL at this time for loading shapefiles.  This is a personal free account and not a Beta Application import.

Regards
Tim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
TimothySmothers1
New Contributor
Have been attempting to import Shapefiles to an existing map in the product - it fails with any of the new ZIP's that I am attempting to load.  And even fails with old ZIP's that worked previously.  I have tried in IE8 and Chrome with the same message.  Chrome gives a larger report (see below)

Unable to import this shapefile. (Could not connect to net.tcp://10.115.184.119:20000/AnalyzerService. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:20.9982528. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.115.184.119:20000. )

My load is respecting the geography of the original data source.  Please advise if there is a problem with AGOL at this time for loading shapefiles.  This is a personal free account and not a Beta Application import.

Regards
Tim

I should mention the shapefile is a single polygon entity (about one square mile in size) - I can supply if necessary
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
I'm having the same (or a similar) issue with my ArcGIS online for organizations account. Whenever I attempt to publish a feature service I get the following message:

"Publish exception 'Analyze call for publish failed for '2subw.zip', server id 'pwNwIGBE7M7VOXjQ''".

I've attempted to troubleshoot, but even zipped shapefiles that were published yesterday fail to upload.

When I try to upload the shapefile to my personal (non-organization) ArcGIS online account the .zip uploads successfully, but I can't add it to any webmaps. Any idea what might be causing this? The file is relatively small (9 features) and I can't figure out why I can't view it online.
0 Kudos
JohnLance
New Contributor
I'm having the same issues as the above post.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We are looking into this problem.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Importing shapefiles is working correctly now.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
David_JHealy
New Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your response-- I appreciate it. Uploading zipped shapefiles to my personal account now works great, thanks.

I'm still having issues with publishing shapefiles as feature services using my Organizations account. The error is different than it was earlier today-- now I get "Error Invalid layer definition" when trying to publish a shapefile. If I click ok on the Error screen it takes me to the item with the "Open" dropdown grayed out.

The item then appears in My Content, but when I open the feature service again it's grayed out and says "Creating Service ..." over the icon. The file may be corrupted, but I can upload it directly to a webmap and it works correctly. I've also tried with the same zipped .shp I published as a feature service yesterday, and that fails.

Any advice? I'm happy to send data, screenshots, etc if that helps.

Thanks,

Charlie
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your response-- I appreciate it. Uploading zipped shapefiles to my personal account now works great, thanks.

I'm still having issues with publishing shapefiles as feature services using my Organizations account. The error is different than it was earlier today-- now I get "Error Invalid layer definition" when trying to publish a shapefile. If I click ok on the Error screen it takes me to the item with the "Open" dropdown grayed out.

The item then appears in My Content, but when I open the feature service again it's grayed out and says "Creating Service ..." over the icon. The file may be corrupted, but I can upload it directly to a webmap and it works correctly. I've also tried with the same zipped .shp I published as a feature service yesterday, and that fails.

Any advice? I'm happy to send data, screenshots, etc if that helps.

Thanks,

Charlie
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Charlie,

Can you share your zipped shapefile here? Are you having trouble with all shapefiles or just this one? I am able to create a feature service from a shapfile without problem.  You are publishing this shapefile by adding it directly to "My Content", right?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CharlieHofmann
New Contributor II
Mike,

Yep, I'm publishing using the My Content page, and am having the same issue (Invalid layer definition) with each .shp that I've tried to publish.

I've attached .zip of one of the shapefiles here, let me know what else you need.

Thanks,

Charlie

Update: Just checked the status of our organization, and it looks like we're way over (196%) our limit for feature storage. Could that have something to do with it? And is there a way to decrease that number? I've deleted several large feature services, but don't see a change in the storage that we're using.

Update 2: Tested the upload again and it worked. Took the feature storage gauge a little while to readjust after deleting other feature services, but it did. Now down to 144% of capacity and able to upload again. Thanks for your help Mike!
0 Kudos