Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to enable feature editing in ArcGIS Online/Field Maps

Jump to solution
03-18-2024 11:47 AM
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

I want to allow attribute updates for a layer in Field Maps. I have a single layer in a web map in AGO, both are shared with a group that has me as the only member for testing. I'm a Creator and Org. Admin.

The layer's settings have Editing Enabled, Keep track of who edited the data, and Sync Enabled. Who can edit the features shows the correct group. Updates are allowed for Attributes only (I just want staff to be able to update select attributes). Editors can see and edit all features. Anonymous editors have the same access as editors.

The web map properties have Editing Enabled. I've set up a form to select which attributes allow editing, which are read-only, and which are required.

I've resaved the web map after making all of these changes.

When I click the edit tab in AGO and select a feature, I get the message that "Editing is disabled but you have privileges to edit this layer.". I don't have the option to edit features (attributes) in Field Maps either. Where else does editing need to be enabled to be able to edit?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

I was able to come to some resolution on this issue after chatting with Esri Support. It seems that the message in the AGO web map ("Editing is disabled but you have privileges to edit this layer.") is tied to Delete. If I allow Add, Delete and Update or Delete and Update, the message doesn't display. If I allow Update only or Add and Update, the message displays. I'm told that message is expected since I have permissions to make edits that aren't allowed in the layer settings since I'm an admin and own the layer. The wording is confusing, however as editing is in fact enabled, the type of editing is just limited.

Some combination of changing the layer editing settings (likely allowing all edits) and saving the layer enabled editing in Field Maps. Editing in Field Maps still appears to be possible after reverting the layer settings to only allow updates to attributes.

I think this will work now, but I'll need to do further validation with a Mobile Worker account to ensure that our crews will be able to perform attribute edits as well as me. My takeaway is to allow all editing types for the layer initially, open the map in Field Maps, verify the ability to edit, and then revise the allowable editing for the layer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @BrianShepard

I can't reproduce the error following the same workflow, so we would need more information in order to get to the bottom of this. 

1. Are you the owner of the layer?
  2. Are you able to edit in the map where you see the message: "Editing is disabled but you have privileges to edit this layer."

As the owner or administrator you should be able to edit the layer.

The message is just there to tell you that Editing is disabled somewhere (that could be in the layer settings or in the map). If Editing IS enabled everywhere- and you are still seeing this message, there could be a bug. The best thing to do is reach out to tech support so they can help find and identify any bugs. 

Thank you! 

Emily

0 Kudos
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

Yes, I own both the layer and the map, and I am able to edit in the map. I'm also able to create features in the map even though add is not allowed in the layer. Maybe that's just inherent with owner permissions.

Editing is enabled with the following selections in the layer and the map. I assume that's "everywhere".

bshepard_1-1710862596203.png

bshepard_0-1710862543993.png

0 Kudos
BrianShepard
New Contributor III

I was able to come to some resolution on this issue after chatting with Esri Support. It seems that the message in the AGO web map ("Editing is disabled but you have privileges to edit this layer.") is tied to Delete. If I allow Add, Delete and Update or Delete and Update, the message doesn't display. If I allow Update only or Add and Update, the message displays. I'm told that message is expected since I have permissions to make edits that aren't allowed in the layer settings since I'm an admin and own the layer. The wording is confusing, however as editing is in fact enabled, the type of editing is just limited.

Some combination of changing the layer editing settings (likely allowing all edits) and saving the layer enabled editing in Field Maps. Editing in Field Maps still appears to be possible after reverting the layer settings to only allow updates to attributes.

I think this will work now, but I'll need to do further validation with a Mobile Worker account to ensure that our crews will be able to perform attribute edits as well as me. My takeaway is to allow all editing types for the layer initially, open the map in Field Maps, verify the ability to edit, and then revise the allowable editing for the layer.