Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to edit hosted feature layer views with editing enabled

05-11-2023 07:34 AM
Labels (2)
luckachi
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to create views for 9 layers. Even though enable editing is turned on, I am still unable to edit in the map viewer and in field maps. I am still able to edit the original layers just fine and I am able to view the REST API for all layers so I don't believe the layers are at all corrupted.

Is there any workarounds to this that doesn't involve republishing all 9 layers that are actively being used with sync enabled.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
luckachi

Just did

Looks like they all say "Yes".

luckachi_0-1683827329091.png

0 Kudos
Paco
by
Occasional Contributor II

Did you Allow Editing when you first created the Feature Service?   Did you check the Editing box in the 'Settings' of your AGOL hosted layer?

0 Kudos
luckachi

Source layer:

luckachi_0-1683831040153.png

Yes, I believe I enabled editing right from the start. They layer was created back in 2020 so I honestly do not remember 100%

0 Kudos
GharVisit
New Contributor

There could be several reasons why you're unable to edit the layers in the map viewer and in field maps, even though editing is enabled. Here are some possible solutions or workarounds to try:

1. Make sure that the layers have the correct permissions set to allow editing. You can check this by going to the item details page for each layer and clicking on the "Settings" tab. Under the "Feature Layer (hosted)" section, ensure that "Editing" is set to "Enabled".

2. Check that the fields you want to edit are not read-only. In the same "Settings" tab, scroll down to the "Fields" section and ensure that the fields you want to edit are not set to read-only.

3. Check that the version of the web map or feature service you are working with is not locked for editing. If it is, you will need to unlock it before you can edit the layers.

4. Try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue.

5. If you're still unable to edit the layers, you could try creating a new feature service that includes only the layers you need to edit, and then republishing that service with editing enabled. You could then use this new service in your views.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. If not, you may need to contact Esri technical guide for further assistance.

0 Kudos
luckachi

@GharVisit 

1. All of the layers that I would like to make views of allow edits. These layers are in a separate webmap for Field Maps and a Web AppBuilder application and they all work correctly, allowing edits.

2. I am unable to edit the view as a whole. When I add the view to my webmap, it gives me the icon on the right to edit because I am the owner, but it does not give me the Forms icon to set up the smart form for Field Maps. Also, when I go to the view's overview and click the data tab - right at the top it says Editing is disabled but you have privileges to edit this layer. 

3. Locked for editing? Please explain.

4. Was using Chrome and now trying Microsoft Edge - still experiencing the same issue.

5. This is unfortunately not an option because I need all the data to flow into the source layer. I am creating a separate web map for a specific subset of people that access the main source layers because they need additional customization. Right now I have the webmap with the source layers, which is fine, but I am wondering if a view will give me more ability to customize the fields to their needs but have it still flow back into the source layers.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @luckachi,

Ideally, we'd like to take a look at your feature service so we can identify the source of the issue you are encountering. Please feel free to contact Esri Technical Support. Thank you!

luckachi

@AlixVezina - Will do, I will reach out to one of our admins to create a ticket for me.

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @luckachi ,

Alix is right, technical support is the best resource. I apologize if you already spoke to this, I may have missed it in the the thread, but did you check that Editing is enabled in the Settings panel for each of the Views? I see that you said that Editing is enabled on the Source layer, but it needs to be enabled for each of the Views as well. 

EmilyGeo_2-1683922225757.png

0 Kudos
luckachi

@EmilyGeo - Yes, editing is enabled on the view layer. I reached out to one of our admins who will be able to create a support ticket for me, hopefully today.

luckachi_1-1684152561850.png

0 Kudos
AlexHogan
Esri Contributor

Hi @luckachi ,

Did you resolve this issue, and if so, do you what the cause was?

Thank,

Alex

0 Kudos