Troubleshooting process for uploading to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-12-2022 03:46 PM
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have some feature layers that I am trying to publish to ArcGIS online.  When doing this from ArcPro (2.9.1) my progress bar gets to "Upload service definition" and gets hung up. When checking the log for this, there does not seem to be an error, just no progress past this step.  When I try to do the same thing from ArcMap (10.8.1), I get a similar experience, just with the progress bar text reading "Extracting files from service definition". Is there anything I can do locally to troubleshoot this issue? Without any error or log of what is wrong I am not sure how to best solve this problem. I have published services from both ArcPro and ArcMap before with zero issue using the same workflow so I am not sure what is going on.

Any help would be appreciated! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

I got something published as well, hopefully things are resolved.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
TomBurj
New Contributor II

I am also having this issue. No problems earlier in the week, but starting last night can't upload anything. Also gets stuck on "Uploading service definition", although in my case after about 20 - 30 minutes it'll eventually fail with 

StatusMessage: Publishing web layer (AGO) 
StatusMessage: Publishing web layer failed (AGO)
StatusMessage: Publishing tool execution failed

Layers that uploaded fine a few days ago no longer work. I am an administrator for my org so definitely have the right permissions, sufficient storage space, everything fine in system health, same problem on different PCs and ArcGIS versions (Pro 2.6 and 2.9), same issue with feature and tile layers. I tried saving a layer as a Service Definition, then creating a layer from that manually through the ArcGIS Online web interface, but that gets stuck on "Checking status...". 

Can't think of anything else to try, seeing someone else with the same issue makes me think it's something on Esri's end? 

SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

I'm also having similar issues.  

Just updated to ArcPro 2.9.1.  I'm trying to overwrite a web layer.   It failed twice, now it appears to get stuck on "uploading service definition."

After reviewing the logs for my failures, this is the failure message I received:

2022-01-13 08:36:07 Status: Failed ErrorMessage: Failed to publish web layer

ChadLandgraf1
New Contributor

Same problem here after upgrading to 2.9.1. I can't overwrite hosted layers or tables. The process gets stuck at the "Uploading Sevice Definition" stage. 

DonCavinessGeo
New Contributor II

I have just started having this issue as well late afternoon on Jan 12, 2022. Anyone have any luck getting a resolution?

SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

I'm going to revert back to an older version of ArcPro until this gets sorted out.  I need to be able to publish to ArcOnline today.

DonCavinessGeo
New Contributor II

I was using an older version and having the same issue. I upgraded this morning just to see if that would help and nope, same issue. I think it is an AGO issue and not Pro.

SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

Oh that's good to know! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue. ArcGIS version is 2.8.0. I am publishing from the admin's account. Our organization has enough credits. The layer has 31 features. The level of details is low, because the polygons are either county or city boundaries. 

I have also raised this question here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arcgis-pro-fails-to-publish-web-layer/m-p/1133265...

I tried to publish other layers, that I know I published before successfully. No luck. 

last three rows marked as 'failed' from the log:

Test_Layer            25          WebFeatureLayer              Ceres Environmental Services, Inc.          https://www.arcgis.com/              ceres.admin      2022-01-13 09:46:00      Status: InProgress              StatusMessage: Publishing web layer failed (AGO)           

Test_Layer             25          WebFeatureLayer              Ceres Environmental Services, Inc.          https://www.arcgis.com/              ceres.admin      2022-01-13 09:46:02      Status: InProgress              StatusMessage: Publishing tool execution failed

Test_Layer             25          WebFeatureLayer              Ceres Environmental Services, Inc.          https://www.arcgis.com/              ceres.admin      2022-01-13 09:46:05      Status: Failed              ErrorMessage: Failed to publish web layer          

AMoyers
New Contributor III

@Anonymous User , I missed that you were having issues with 2.8 too.  Maybe it really is an AGOL issue with some ironic timing for some.

0 Kudos