Select to view content in your preferred language

Trouble with adding layers from ArcGIS Online

08-09-2010 08:03 PM
CyrusM
by
New Contributor
Hello everyone!

My problem is that I can't seem to properly open/add a layer I find on ArcGIS Online. I used ArcMap to connect online and when I try to add...it only shows a broken link (red exclamation mark) next to my layer. Another problem is that I get the error "Error Reading Package Contents".

I don't know what else to do. I even turned off the firewall.

Here are the specs:

ArcGIS 9.3.1 Education Edition - SP2 Education Edition
Firefox 3.5.11
Windows Vista Home Basic

I have the program installed in an external HDD just to save space on my laptop. Everything else works fine...except for this thing.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
jessebelcher
New Contributor
I am having the same problem. It does not matter if i am singed in or not. This is using desktop Editor 10.

Invalid Package

Error reading package contents.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Also, is there a particular package you're having trouble with or is it any layer package?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
If while in Arc Desktop 10 i click on add data add data from arcgis online or add basemap then browse to any layer package it gives this error.

Yes i cleared all my browsers. 

If i use my browser and open up one of the layers it opens right up i just cant add it from desktop.

Thank you,

Jesse B
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The return request is coming from an HTTPS connection that is not under www.arcgis.com. If this is somehow getting blocked by your organization (eg through a firewall), you can see this error. Can you check with the people who manage how you connect to the internet to see if there are any restrictions on these sorts of connections?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
jenwhitte
New Contributor
I'm having the issue reported on this thread. I realize the thread is old and I'm new to using threads so I'm not sure if this will reach anyone. I cannot add some layers online in ArcMap. Some of the layers will add just fine (imagery, PLSS), however when I try to add the United States boundaries for example I get the error "cannot read package contents". Is there any advice in addition to what's been advised through this thread that may help me? This is not a one time occurrence, it appears to be happening every time I try to add these layers.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jen,

What version of desktop are you running?
Are these layers you've uploaded or public layers? Can you provide the URLs to the layers? If they are your layers, you'll need to share them publicly for me to see them.

Thanks

Mike
0 Kudos
jenwhitte
New Contributor
I'm running version 10. The layers I'm trying to add I assume are public. I'm just using the 'add data from ArcGIS online' through the 'add data' tool.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you have all the latest service packs installed? These issues are tough to debug here. I'd suggest calling Esri tech support.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
jenwhitte
New Contributor
I do have service pack 3 installed. I will call them. Thank you for trying to help me.
0 Kudos