Time slider not showing accurate dates?

06-05-2020 09:05 AM
NorthSouthGIS
Occasional Contributor II

I have a map service and a feature service from an AGS that I manage. I added the data to a web map (and also to a BETA web map - Esri's newer version of the AGOL web map) and am experiencing the same issue:

The current time is clearly 12/31/2008 - 12/31/2009, but the slider shows 2009-2010. ???? I don't even know what to make of this. The time settings established in ArcGIS Pro look like this:

This is what was used to make the services. The time displays correctly in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi NorthSouth GIS‌,

It looks like you may be running into this discrepancy due to time display differences in Pro and Online. Online stores time in UTC-0 and converts to your local time zone for display - this documentation page goes into it further: Work with date fields—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

This blog includes some great tips for working with time, including selecting your time zone when publishing a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Pro: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/sharing-collaboration/mastering-the-space-ti...  

Hope this helps,

-Peter

NorthSouthGIS

Thanks for your reply. I did set the time zone to PST before publishing. Are you saying that I have to convert all times in my database to UTC and then set the time zone to UTC prior to publishing? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi NorthSouth GIS‌, thanks for response here. ArcGIS Pro should handle this when publishing, so the manual conversion would not be necessary. Did the configuration setting look like the screenshot below? Since the times say 4:00 p.m. in the screenshot, this indicates to me that somewhere in the process, ArcGIS Server did not calculate the time zone offset when publishing. Since it sounds like it's a registered feature/map services (not hosted), can you see what the time zone setting is in ArcGIS Server Manager and try changing it to your local timezone, with adjustment for Daylight Savings? Reference: How To: Set the UTC time field to follow a specific time zone 

Also, what version of Enterprise are you working with, and do the feature service and map services exhibit the same behavior? 

I hope this helps - if it looks like it will require more troubleshooting I would be happy to get a case started with Esri Support

Thanks,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
NorthSouthGIS

I set the time zone in the Time tab when configuring the time slider settings. I did not update the configuration when sharing it as a service. I will try that. It is a hosted service, not an AGS service.

0 Kudos
NorthSouthGIS

Peter,

Setting the time in the service parameters did the trick. Thanks! Now if only I could get my data to display only one year at a time:

In Desktop, I can show exactly one year's worth of data by excluding either the start or end time of the current interval. In ArcGIS Online, showing data for one year at a time actually shows data from two years. Here are my settings:

Here is what my data looks like:

You can clearly see that the pink points (2016) are mixing with points from 2017 (navy) if those points fall on 1/1/2017. In ArcGIS Online, either the start or end date should be excluded by default with these settings. I consider this a BUG because the user is expecting 1 year of data but they get a year and one day. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi NorthSouth GIS‌,

I'm glad setting the time zone in the service parameters did the trick!

Per the time slider question, I agree. We have an open issue for it - it isn't published to the Support site at this point so I am not able to link it here, but if you can email pklingman@esri.com or send me a direct message in GeoNet with your customer number I can get your account attached. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
julzob
by
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I know I'm a couple years late to this, but I'm having the exact same issue and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of how you ended up resolving this? In ArcGIS Pro, I'm able to view just one month of data at a time, but on ArcGIS Online, it's mixing two months worth of data at each point on the interval.

Here are my Time settings from ArcGIS Pro:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 3.47.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 3.55.48 PM.png

Thanks so much,

Julia

0 Kudos