Strangely, it not only happens with the new created tile services, but also with old ones that used to work without problems.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks for the response.
Unfortunately I am at 100%.
Any other ideas?
Actually it wasn't me noticing this behaviour but a colleague from another office.
So it does not seem related to a specific machine, rather (probably) to ESRI's servers???
This is of course just a guess, as our tile services used to work without problems and it's hard to say we did something recently that broke tile caches generated before this happened on AGOL.
You can get into a similar situation with your browser zoom level too. For example I can reproduce the gaps when I change the browser zoom level from 100 to 110 in chrome. This is unlikely to be a server issue, and most likely a display scaling artifact.that gets introduced by the browser, the os or graphics card.
Thanks again for the quick feedback. This is very strange. Apparently, changing the zoom of the browser in Firefox does not fix the problem in my case. Also, zooming in and out in the different level of scales of my tile services the grid tends to disappear in some cases and in some areas, while being present in others. The same happens in IE, BUTnot in Chrome. Actually, in Chrome the artifacts are not present.
The only thing is that I really never noticed this before, and I could swear it never happened before my colleague noticed it yesterday. Now it seems all the maps I've created so far are full of these whiteish grid which looks awful. I will try to reccomend using Chrome if this is really necessary. As I said, this happens also in other computers, with different Windows versions and different hardware.
Just forgot to mention one (probably really) important thing: this is happening to all my ortophotos. Other tile services seems fine. It would be nice to have a feedback from ESRI, as these services used to work without displaying artifacts before I posted this question. And regardless the zoom/browser.