Tiles' borders got visible in my AGOL Tile Services

Jump to solution
08-03-2017 05:50 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

I found out that my Tile Services now show up with a thin whitish border around, so that it seems a grid overlays my tile layers (see image below). This does not seem to happen when consuming the service in a web map from AGOL, but it does from the ArcGIS Javascript Viewer (opened from REST), and when  consume the service in my app using the Javascript API (v.4).

Strangely, it not only happens with the new created tile services, but also with old ones that used to work without problems.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessandro, this is a bug in the 4x JSAPI. Should be fixed with the next release (planned for Sept).

thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor

Assuming you're using windows, check your display scaling.  This happens to me when my display scaling isnt an even multiple of 100% e.g. 125% scaling shows it but 200% doesnt

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I am at 100%.

Any other ideas?

Actually it wasn't me noticing this behaviour but a colleague from another office.

So it does not seem related to a specific machine, rather (probably) to ESRI's servers???

This is of course just a guess, as our tile services used to work without problems and it's hard to say we did something recently that broke tile caches generated before this happened on AGOL.

And again, tiles look fine in an AGOL webmap, but not in the Javascript (REST) viewer.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor

You can get into a similar situation with your browser zoom level too.  For example I can reproduce the gaps when I change the browser zoom level from 100 to 110 in chrome.  This is unlikely to be a server issue, and most likely a display scaling artifact.that gets introduced by the browser, the os or graphics card.

AlessandroValra

Thanks again for the quick feedback. This is very strange. Apparently, changing the zoom of the browser in Firefox does not fix the problem in my case. Also, zooming in and out in the different level of scales of my tile services the grid tends to disappear in some cases and in some areas, while being present in others. The same happens in IE, BUTnot in Chrome. Actually, in Chrome the artifacts are not present.

The only thing is that I really never noticed this before, and I could swear it never happened before my colleague noticed it yesterday. Now it seems all the maps I've created so far are full of these whiteish grid which looks awful. I will try to reccomend using Chrome if this is really necessary. As I said, this happens also in other computers, with different Windows versions and different hardware.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

I have also found this other thread where the same issue was resolved rbooting the hosting server. I know this is probably not feasile for ArcGIS Online...

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Just forgot to mention one (probably really) important thing: this is happening to all my ortophotos. Other tile services seems fine. It would be nice to have a feedback from ESRI, as these services used to work without displaying artifacts before I posted this question. And regardless the zoom/browser.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessandro, this is a bug in the 4x JSAPI. Should be fixed with the next release (planned for Sept).

thanks,

Chris

AlessandroValra

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Will wait for September then. Thank you. Will come back to this thread to confirm it is fixed the next month.

0 Kudos