Select to view content in your preferred language

The Search Tool in the Web Map does not Find the Correct Feature when using "Contains"

08-17-2023 10:42 AM
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

From the Web Map settings, under Application Settings, I have Enable Search checked and By Layer checked, and then I have it set up like this:

• Layer: Inlets
  • Field: Inlet ID
  • Search Property: Contains

When I search in the web map for IN-019-00123 and click enter, this is the inlet that is located:

IN-019-01230

I have another user that can search in the same web map and is able to find the correct inlet.

We have another map set up with the same data, and the same search settings, and in that map, we both find the wrong inlet when searching.

I have tried zooming in so that the correct inlet is shown in my map extent, and then searching by the Inlet Id, and when I click enter, the map automatically zooms to the wrong inlet (and shows the pop-up for the wrong inlet).

As you know, when you search by "contains" and start to type in the search string, search results are suggested. None of the search results that are suggested are the correct inlet, as shown in the attachment.

The behavior is the same in the new map viewer and the old map viewer. In Field Maps, the inlet is located correctly when I search for it.

The only way to use the Search Tool to find the correct inlet is to change the search property to "Equals" instead of "Contains." However, then users have to enter the entire Inlet ID and cannot use a partial string to search.

I've made a screenshot where you can see the inlet ID labeled on the map and that I'm searching for that Inlet ID and it is not coming up in the search results.

@jtmouw_NCDOT 

9 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you able to share the map and we can take a look? If you cant share the cases publicly you can invite russell_jsapi to a group and I can checkout the layers and map or I would log this issue with a support ticket.

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

@RussRoberts I made a new map with read-only views of the data and shared it with a group that I added you to. Our organization is ncdot.maps.arcgis.com and the name of the map is Inlet ID Searching Test Map.

Also I want to add that I tried removing and re-adding the attribute index this morning. I've added a screenshot to show what the indexes look like.

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

These are the search settings in the test map:

Inlet ID Searching Test Map - Search Settings.jpg

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks! this looks like an issue with how the index is searching with the leading 000s. If you want to log an issue to track I would contact support and this would fall under a hosted services issue. 

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Thanks, will do!

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks! when you have the bug id you can ping it here just incase other wants to track. 

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

@RussRoberts this is logged as 

<BUG-000161391>
<The Search Tool in ArcGIS Online Web Map does not Find the Correct Feature when using "Contains">

and is currently in review status with Esri. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

I have run into this issue in the past with addresses.  We have more than 2000 addresses in the city, and the default maxRecordCount for hosted services is 2000.

I increased this to a number larger than the total number of records in the dataset, and it is able to find them now.

rzufelt_0-1692738198662.png

R_

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Hi,

We have around 22,000 features in the layer and the max record count had already been increased to 32,000 before I discovered the issue.

I did submit a case to Esri and have been working with them for over a week on it now. I'll keep you posted!