The minus tool is creating pixelated boxes on the output raster

06-15-2021 05:03 PM
LaurenWeilert
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcGIS 10.6. I am trying to see the difference between two rasters by using the minus tool. The output raster it is giving me have these weird pixelated boxes throughout the whole raster. I have attached a photo to better understand what I am talking about. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there something I am doing wrong? The rasters I am using both have a cell size and band size of 1 with the same projection.

Pixel_difference.jpg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are they aligned? That is, the exact same extent?  Did you specify a snap raster?

... sort of retired...
LaurenWeilert
New Contributor II

Okay I set them to the same extent and it still came out pixelated. I am fairly new with this, but which tool would I use to align them? And I do not think I have a snap raster, so do I need to make one of those as well?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are many things that affect such a seemingly simple function like subtraction

Minus (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The environments options for any tool is just as important as the parameters.

At the bottom of the above link is a list of "environments" that need to be considered.  I have shortened the list

Cell Size, Cell Size Projection Method, ...  Extent, Geographic Transformations, ..., Output Coordinate System, ... Snap Raster ...

Each environment setting has an affect on the outcome.

Snap Raster (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Cell Alignment (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If you are new to this,.. then a read in the Raster Analysis section would be of use.  The two links above are within the help content tree 

... sort of retired...