Technical questions regarding ArcGIS Online

01-12-2016 07:27 PM
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I am currently making a chart with information of various GIS software/applications

I would like to know more information about ArcGIS Online as seen in the headings of this example chart:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15UI5xGYTOaM1lLNmZON1Z1MEE/view?usp=sharing

Pricing/License, Supported OSs,Windows Server 2008/Server Core Compatibility, Supported Applications, Pre-Backup Analysis, Schedulable, Scriptable, Reporting Options, Differential Backups, Virtual Machine Compatibility, Remote Administration, Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Compatibility.

Where can I get this information?

table_01.gif

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not able to open the google doc, but based on you list..(blocked by my network)

I would start by looking at Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS   many of your questions will be answered there.

re: Pricing/License - always best to contact esri customer service or distributor.  Pricing varies widely depending on whether you are using only for development Sign Up | ArcGIS for Developers  for free, a non-profit, a educational group, a large organization (that can have an enterprise license, e.g. the federal government), or a smaller organization.  It also will depend on whether most things you public will be public eventually, or whether things are secured and wanting to be shared within a small "named-user" group.

Info on getting started... Get started—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

other links to help with your questions:

Also make sure to chek out ArcGIS for Developers | ArcGIS for Developers so you can see all the apps and development environments available, including many for mobile devices...both browser base and native OS apps.

I hope this helps.

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions!

To clarify,

Virtual Machine Compatibility, Remote Administration - I can thus just type "browser based" under these two headings?

It is scriptable then? (I have to answer either Yes or No in the chart).

Reporting Options -   I can just write "ArcGIS Online Assistant" and "ArcGIS Online admin tools?"

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I guess it would depend on what you actually mean by those headings. I responded based on my interpretation. since ArcGIS Online (AGOL) is, pardon the buzz word, "the cloud", it's not installed onsite so your hardware typically wouldn't matters, as long as you have access to the internet and a browser that can access it.

The equivalent software that is the portal, but in house is called Portal for ArcGIS (Portal), and local hard where would matter more.

re reporting options....what type of reporting are you looking for? AGOL gives some information on usage or service and maps that you have on you AGOL site. the administrator can get additional reporting info from AGOL and the other packages I mentionEd.  I don't use Portal, but

I'm assuming it is similar.

re scripting...if you are asking whether you can write custom web applications, then yes.  otherwise, I'm not sure what scripting you are asking about.  Can you be more specific?

0 Kudos
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I updated the post to include an inserted image of the table.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think you are going to have to contact esri directly depending on your needs http://www.arcgis.com/features/plans/pricing.html because part of the pricing depends upon the nature of your organization.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Grrr...I hate when I have a response typed out and my iPad eats it....no recovery on geonet. So I'll try to recap...

after looking at you table,

I notice that you are listing a variety of different software, not necessarily just GIS software, so some of the items don't apply the same way. 

Re pricing:as Dan alluded to, the cost is dependent on a variety of factors, and the best choice is to talk to an Esri customer rep or local distributor. (Had a bunch more listed here...but alas, it was zapped....talked about named users, etc.)

some links and tools that may be helpful

ArcGIS Online | Pricing

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits

ArcGIS Online | Credits Estimator

And  thread where Derek Law​ answers some questions about named users

Named Users?

I'm sending this before my pad eats it again.

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Hi, thank you for your contribution.

I would also like to know the same inquiries for ArcGIS Desktop. Should I make another thread for it?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

That would probably be best.   Looking at GeoNet Community Structure ,

i would suggest posting I  "New to GIS" and include you industry or other sites by using the "@" and the space....that will allow more groups to see it without having to duplicate the post.

also, make sure to include which packages you are looking at...  ArcGIS desktop, ArcGIS pro, mobile devices, ArcGIS server, etc.   if will allow for clearer answers.

edit...also, make sure to mark all answers that were helpful, and one as correct, if there is one...or assumed answered if not one best answer

EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I realized I forgot to mention Backup media. What is Back up media for ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos