Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbology Styles

Jump to solution
07-26-2024 01:17 PM
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

Good afternoon,

This might be a rudimentary question, but what would be the reason that a feature layer would have access to multiple symbology styles (types, counts, size, etc.), to another that only has one style (types)? I figure it has to do with fields, some that are coded numerically. I tried modifying some field lists to numeric codes, however that still only gives me one style for this feature layer. Thank you

Feature Layer with multiple styles

fjramos_0-1722024801032.png

Feature Layer with limited styles

fjramos_1-1722024834817.png

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

I just figured it out, my original field of "Severity" was created as a String type, so even after I edited the list as a numerical code, it wouldnt change anything. To test this, I added a new "Severity" field, but as an Intenger type and this gave me additional styles. So my mistake was overlooking the field type. I'll keep this in mind next time I create a new map and feature layers. Thank for the help.

Original field

fjramos_1-1722262058147.png

New (test) field

fjramos_2-1722262113274.png

Now the 'new (test) field' shows up under select fields

fjramos_3-1722262194400.png

Now I'm able to add additonal symbology types (size), which is exactly what I needed

fjramos_4-1722262278299.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

One reason like you said that different attributes within the same feature layer may require a particular symbology type. 

It also has to do with attribute data types numeric vs text.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

yes, the thing is i tried to change some of the attributes to numeric, just to test it out, but it still doesn't enable the multiple symbology styles. the only other fields it can add are "date", "edit date", "creation date",  i have created several feature layers that have the multiple styles, but for some reason this new feature layer i created is limited to only one. weird

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

At the top of the symbology pane you can add fields or expressions.

Once you add a field you'll have more options to symbolise by the fields specified. Only the symbology options for the chosen fields will appear, not all the fields that are in the layer.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/apply-styles-mv.htm

E.g. add a count (integer) field then you'll see the styles 

fjramos
Frequent Contributor

Yes I understand that, that's my question, on some layers I'm able to add multiple fields with multiple styles, but on some layers they're limited to only one style and the only other fields I'm able to add are "date", "editor", etc. and not my own created fields for that layer. That's why I'm stumped

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
What type of layer? Point, line, polygon?

Do you have one field already added when you go to add more? Can't add
multiple incompatible fields for the UI.

Can you share a screenshot that includes the fields, field types of the
layer?
0 Kudos
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

I just figured it out, the fields I had created were all String types, hence only giving me a sinlge symbology type. I added a test field as an Intenger type, with a list of 1-5 and that's what gave me access to the additonal symbology types (size), a simple over look when created the feature layers 

0 Kudos
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

I just read that on the link, the feature layer i created does have additonal fields that are "categorical and/or numeric", but for some reason they don't pop up when I hit the "+Field", only "date", "edit date", "creation date". I may have done something wrong when created the feature layer and/or adding the fields?

fjramos_0-1722258513935.png

0 Kudos
fjramos
Frequent Contributor

I just figured it out, my original field of "Severity" was created as a String type, so even after I edited the list as a numerical code, it wouldnt change anything. To test this, I added a new "Severity" field, but as an Intenger type and this gave me additional styles. So my mistake was overlooking the field type. I'll keep this in mind next time I create a new map and feature layers. Thank for the help.

Original field

fjramos_1-1722262058147.png

New (test) field

fjramos_2-1722262113274.png

Now the 'new (test) field' shows up under select fields

fjramos_3-1722262194400.png

Now I'm able to add additonal symbology types (size), which is exactly what I needed

fjramos_4-1722262278299.png