Symbology Changes in Edit Mode

03-08-2017 08:41 AM
TiffanyTaylor1
New Contributor III

Has anyone else had the problem of layer symbology reverting to the base layer during edits on AGOL either in collector or on the web version? 

I have a Tree Inventory map that is being used throughout the city. The symbology is set on the map to display by the trees status (present/removed/to be removed) whenever any of my data editors try to edit any of the points the map reverts back to displaying the points only by location. 

Any insight is appreciated!

9 Replies
ShelbyZelonis1
New Contributor II

Yep, I'm having the same issue and I've notified Esri. Are you publishing your layer via Pro or ArcMap?

TiffanyTaylor1
New Contributor III

Via ArcMap.

It's nice to know someone else is having the same issue! If you don't mind keepin me in the loop, I'd appreciate it greatly. It causes my fieldworkers a bit of a headache when it suddenly stops sorting the trees by status.

0 Kudos
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

Me too

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Zorba,

Can you share some more information about your specific workflow? Are you able to share the map? Where are the editors updating the data or symbology? in a web map that you created, in a web map they created or in an application?

0 Kudos
ZorbaConlen1

Hi Kelly,

I can't share it unfortunately, as the test version is internal only.

In my case, I have a custom Web AppBuilder app developed with dev edition and hosted locally. The symbology is defined in the webmap, based on an attribute, with values of either 'Yes' or 'No'. So there are 2 possible symbols. I have extended the 'Edit' widget with some custom functionality, but generally it works like the OOB version. When they open the edit widget, or from a popup dropdown menu, click 'Edit Feature', the symbology reverts back to the map service symbology and stays like that as long as the edit widget is open.

You can actually see this behavior in a webmap though. Just add a simple feature service or feature layer to a webmap and change the style. In the webmap, when you click the edit button, you'll see the symbols change back to the service symbology.

It's pretty confusing for end users.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I too am experiencing the same issue - did this ever get resolved? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

We host our services through ArcGIS Online so I'm not sure if the situation would be different, but I've always experienced the same thing: when in edit mode, the symbology reverts back to the original symbology of when the layer was published, rather than keeping the symbology that was set in ArcGIS Online. I just figured that was standard behavior in ArcGIS Online when editing...

However, if there is a way to prevent this from happening it would be good to know!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
AmyRoust

I found a way to fix it. In your web map, set up the symbology on your layer the way you want it to be. Then click on the More Options menu (looks like three dots) and pick Save Layer. It will overwrite your hosted layer with the symbology you set in the web map.

Just for reference in case people don't find the same experience, I created the original layer in Pro, published it as a hosted feature layer, and am now maintaining it solely in ArcGIS Online. I don't know whether the above trick will work if you publish a service from ArcMap or otherwise are using registered data instead of copying the data to AGOL. 

ChristinaCurry
New Contributor II

Awesome-- Thanks, Amy! 

0 Kudos