Smart Editor - Undo option?

04-22-2021 07:11 PM
Labels (1)
JessicaGough
New Contributor III

Hello,

We employ the Smart Editor widget in our web apps to enable users to copy features from one layer into another layer, as well as to make basic edits to feature geometry by moving vertices.

One problem we often encounter is accidental 'picking up' and shifting of the entire polygon, as opposed to just the single vertex.

When we have complex coincident boundaries with adjacent features, this creates many problems with gaps and overlaps that are difficult to rectify in the web app by manually moving features back to the original position. It is, in practice, impossible.

Is there a way to enable an 'undo' function in the Smart Editor widget, similar to the one available in the standard 'Edit' widget? Or perhaps there is a way to lock the overall feature in place, and enable the movement of only individual vertices?

Many thanks for any advice!

Jess

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jessica, I don't see any replies here but I'm not sure if turning off all other layers in your web app will help but it helps us when making edits. We are finding most recently that when using the copy/paste function of Smart Editor that it is just buffering and takes a refresh every single time to execute the task. We have tried different browsers which don't seem to make a difference. Most recently, the app doesn't like it if I try to change themes and I've seen other posts regarding this. Currently I'm using the foldable theme but if I try to switch to mitigate some overlapping icons and drop-down menus, it suggests I need to reconfigure all my widget settings. 😞 Have you experienced anything like this or with the copy/paste hanging up? Thank you! Possibly you have found a solution by now. @AlixVezina can you help on this? Kristal

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KristalWalsh , 

Please are you able to provide more details on the issues you are seeing with copy/paste? Some screenshots or a quick recording to start would be very helpful.

Regarding the reconfiguring of widgets when switching between some of the Web AppBuilder themes, that is unfortunately a known limitation and is expected when switching between some of the themes. This should not be an issue in the future when using Experience Builder.

0 Kudos
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @AlixVezina thank you for your quick response! I tried a recording but the file size was way too large. I've attached a couple screenshots of our workflow to copy one layer into another using Smart Editor. This functionality was working fine until recently but now only intermittently.  Basically the feature class into which the feature attributes are being copied are selected from the template. The polygon is lasso'd or selected, create feature is selected from the next menu and the info is pasted into the other feature class.  The related table opens where we can input data. This has worked intermittently for me over the last couple weeks but in the last week I've tried Chrome, Edge and EI with limited success.  One of our staff refreshes constantly and has been able to get it to perform the copy/paste. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kristal

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@KristalWalsh Thank you for the screenshots, at first glance it does seem this would need more troubleshooting. Please feel free to reach out to me so we can setup a call avezina@esri.com, or you can also contact Esri Support.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JessicaGough ,

There is currently no option to undo/redo or lock the feature's position to only allow editing vertices, in Smart Editor. If you do not have auto-save enabled, the end-user should be able to cancel their changes by hitting the Close button in the widget pane. 

We will take note of the redo/undo capability as a requirement for the next-generation editor.