Select to view content in your preferred language

SIZE OF THE FILES UPLOADED

08-05-2011 03:33 AM
fabianbarbato
Emerging Contributor
Hi,
there is some limitation in order to the size of archives (shp) to add in a arcgis (explorer) online application, from an local server or disk?
i'm not sure if there are size limits on the actual web map itself,

regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
A zipped shapefile of roughly 1MB is about as large as you can go. Another way to think about this is that you can add roughly 1000 features. If you are adding a polygon shapefile, you may consider generalizing it if you have a lot of vertices.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JeriLedbetter
Deactivated User
Will this maximum size be increased when a subscription to ArcGIS Online Premium is available? I'm generating maps of springs, and there are far more than 1000...

Jeri
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No the size will not be increased. Instead, you'll use an alternate workflow of creating a service out of your data.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MaxCrandall
Emerging Contributor
Hi Mike,

I wonder if you have any additional information to share about using an alternate workflow of creating a service out of your data?

Will this workflow be available to ArcGIS Desktop (only) users, or those with ArcGIS Server?

M.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Here a little more information.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/whats-coming.html

In short, you'll purchase a subscription to ArcGIS Online which will provide storage and hosting of your data as services. You'll be able to access your subscription from ArcGIS client applications, like ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
OlaSvensson1
Emerging Contributor
Out of curiosity, have you tried splitting your shape-file into a couple of smaller files? It's not optimal, but I noticed a pretty big increase in performance when going from one to four files.
0 Kudos
ScottGeis
New Contributor
Hi,

Are there similar size restrictions when trying to point to a ArcGIS Server WMS?  I am trying to point to several different WMS' and I am finding that nothing is populating in the map.  Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Cheers,
Scott
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Because WMS is a service, there are no size restrictions. Are you seeing some error message? Are you sure the WMS services are operational? Perhaps you can share the URL to those WMS services.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LeslieZolman1
Occasional Contributor
Here a little more information.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/whats-coming.html

In short, you'll purchase a subscription to ArcGIS Online which will provide storage and hosting of your data as services. You'll be able to access your subscription from ArcGIS client applications, like ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,

Is this feature available in the beta subscription account?  I am trying to add 133,000 census blocks to my map using a beta subscription.
0 Kudos