Simple editing in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-14-2016 03:41 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Community,

I feel like I must be missing something simple here. I have a simple web map with two layers. One of those is editable. However, when I click on the Edit button at the top 

and edit the layer, the edits do not persist. I am the owner of the hosted feature layer being editing too. (I am eventually wanting to get another user to make edits to this layer but that isn't working either).

Do I need to do something different with my web map to do this? I primarily want to edit the Geometry of my points feature.

These are my edit settings:

Is it not possible to edit the geometry of a hosted feature layer in a web map?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Adrian,

I'm encountering the same issue as you - I can't create new points but I can move existing points.

I took 2 copies of your data using the Feature Class to Geodatabase (multiple) tool - 1st copy kept the z values and the 2nd copy disabled the z values (environment settings) - I then published them to Online and the layer with no z values works perfectly and the layer with z values fails - Is it a requirement to keep the Z value? If not, I'd republish without them.

Carmel

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

like it says on this page? Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

to use your own advice... did you reboot?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Dan,

You gotta love the reboot option. It solves most of life's problems. 

I appreciate the link and while it does mention some geometry editing, it seems to only refer to adding or deleting geometry, not modifying it. Maybe I'm missing something and geometry cannot be edited in a hosted feature service...

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

Hi Adrian,

What browser are you using? I've had some caching issues in IE where edits are not preserved but this is directly linked to editing ArcGIS Online features services in a Portal for ArcGIS web map in IE...(a bug has been logged)

Are you directly editing the feature service or is it a copy of the feature service? Does editing work if you use the Edit widget in Web AppBuilder?

Carmel

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Carmel,

Thanks for the response. I often use FireFox for AGOL. I just tried in Chrome with the same results. I am attempting to directly edit the feature service, not a copy. I do not have it in a WAB map at the moment so I haven't tried the Edit Widget.

I found this thread: https://community.esri.com/thread/170820#comment-582158 

that mentions the hasM value. I just checked my service rest end point and it is false. However, when I created the feature class in ArcGIS Pro, I allowed for it to have Z values. Could this be the issue?

Here is my rest service:

http://services5.arcgis.com/mvnrDxfOCq0CsVom/arcgis/rest/services/15094_Pictures/FeatureServer 

pertinent info:

Should I try recreating the feature class without allowing a Z value? It wouldn't take long since it's created from a CSV file. Let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

Hi Adrian,

I'm encountering the same issue as you - I can't create new points but I can move existing points.

I took 2 copies of your data using the Feature Class to Geodatabase (multiple) tool - 1st copy kept the z values and the 2nd copy disabled the z values (environment settings) - I then published them to Online and the layer with no z values works perfectly and the layer with z values fails - Is it a requirement to keep the Z value? If not, I'd republish without them.

Carmel

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Carmel,

You're my hero! I appreciate you testing this for me. Since disabling the Z values, I am able to edit the geometry and it persists!

I wish there was a way to allow editing of geometry but keep anonymous people away from adding new points. These are my edit settings:

It seems that I have to have "Add, update, and delete features" checked in order to edit the geometry, this allows any anonymous user to add new features (but they cannot update or delete these features with the checkbox of:

).

Or am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

Hi Adrian,

I don't think it is possible to limit anonymous users to just editing existing geometries - if you used the Edit widget in WAB, it allows you to 'Disable Update Geometry.' so users can't move or add points but they can just change the attributes: Edit Widget

Maybe you could use a filter to limit what is displayed? For example, have a field called Visibile and the default set to No (you could set up a domain for yes/no from Pro/ArcMap or through the rest end point). In the web map, set a filter so that points are only visible if Visible = Yes and disable editing of this field. Then if an anonymous user tries to add a new point, it will appear but then disappear because of the filter. This means they can only see and move existing points. This will mean a little bit of work on your side to delete points added by anonymous users but it might be a potential work around.

Carmel

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Carmel,

It is unfortunate that this functionality does not exist, though I like the ideas you posed!

Thanks for your help,

Adrian