Select to view content in your preferred language

Show only one country / county / sub-county

Jump to solution
02-03-2024 06:29 AM
JozsefMezősi
New Contributor II

Hi!

I have to represent only one country (hungary) on a map. Please help how to do it?

Also I need to export only one certain county in the country (for example Heves county). how can I do it?

In the Heves county I have to show the county with sub-county level (járás), and I have to show the sub-county borders and járás center towns.

I would appreciate any help that you can give on that.

Sincerely:

Jozsef Mezosi

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JimWooten
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jozsef;

Try this site: DIVA-GIS 

Click on the country level data link, select Hungary, and for Subject, select Administrative areas and then download.  Extract to a folder of your choice.  HUN_adm0 is the country border. Open the .shp file for the boundary file you need in Pro, and then right-click the layer.  Select attribute table, open the attribute table, select the county of your choice (Heves).  Right click the layer (HUN_adm1), and then from the Selection menu, click Make Layer From Selected Features.  Repeat the process for HUN_adm2.You can change the basemap to show cities and towns more clearly by zooming in.

If you're working in ArcGIS Online, you can add the Hungary country border and all of the smaller administrative boundaries by searching for and adding each layer from ArcGIS Online.  

I hope this helps.

Jim Wooten

View solution in original post

BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Those boundaries (and more) can also be found in ArcGIS Living Atlas:

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/en/browse/?q=hungary#d=2&q=hungary

RonaldHaug

Hi Jozsef!

I searched for a number of layers having to do with Hungary on ArcGIS Online and got this far:

RonaldHaug_0-1707029167426.png

If you click on the layer on the left (blue line) and the click on filter (funnel on right side) you can select what you want. If You click on the label tag, then you can label the name, and choose font, size, color and placement. If you click on Symbology (circle square triangle) you can choose the background color of your polygon.

I couldn't find Jara, so you still have some hunting to do. Are you in a class right now and is this your homework assignment? Let us know how you're doing.

7 Replies
JimWooten

Hi Jozsef;

Try this site: DIVA-GIS 

Click on the country level data link, select Hungary, and for Subject, select Administrative areas and then download.  Extract to a folder of your choice.  HUN_adm0 is the country border. Open the .shp file for the boundary file you need in Pro, and then right-click the layer.  Select attribute table, open the attribute table, select the county of your choice (Heves).  Right click the layer (HUN_adm1), and then from the Selection menu, click Make Layer From Selected Features.  Repeat the process for HUN_adm2.You can change the basemap to show cities and towns more clearly by zooming in.

If you're working in ArcGIS Online, you can add the Hungary country border and all of the smaller administrative boundaries by searching for and adding each layer from ArcGIS Online.  

I hope this helps.

Jim Wooten

JozsefMezősi
New Contributor II

Hi Jim! Thank you for your advice! As a matter of fact it was too complex for me to get the dotnet to under MacOs Paralells so I stayed at the online version rather than pro, which didnt start without dotnet. The only thing left is that I am unable to figure out, how to export/print only the filtered county only, and not to have the whole surrounding area (even if it is shaded with black. If you would have a hint for that, I would much appreciate it. 

Sincerely:
Jozsef Mezosi

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Those boundaries (and more) can also be found in ArcGIS Living Atlas:

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/en/browse/?q=hungary#d=2&q=hungary

JozsefMezősi
New Contributor II

Thank You Bern! Yes it was in front of my eyes, even though it is a bit deep in the menu for the first try. Thanks for your hint, it helped me, I got my boundaries from there. 

Thanks Again!

Sincerely:
Jozsef Mezosi

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi Jozsef!

I searched for a number of layers having to do with Hungary on ArcGIS Online and got this far:

RonaldHaug_0-1707029167426.png

If you click on the layer on the left (blue line) and the click on filter (funnel on right side) you can select what you want. If You click on the label tag, then you can label the name, and choose font, size, color and placement. If you click on Symbology (circle square triangle) you can choose the background color of your polygon.

I couldn't find Jara, so you still have some hunting to do. Are you in a class right now and is this your homework assignment? Let us know how you're doing.

JozsefMezősi
New Contributor II

Hi Ronald! Thank you so much for your hint! Filtering really moved me further to my goals. The only thing left is that I am unable to figure out, how to export/print only the filtered county only, and not to have the whole surrounding area (even if it is shaded with black. If you would have a hint for that to, I would much appreciate it. 

Sincerely:
Jozsef Mezosi

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi Josef,

I think you're asking two things.

1) How to save filtered feature layer like cities in Heve. 

Click the 3 dots in the layer and then click on Save as:

RonaldHaug_0-1707168489642.png

2) Save, Share and Print Map.

That you can do on the left hand side.

RonaldHaug_1-1707168701725.png

ArcGIS Online is different than ArcGIS Pro. I used to call it ArcGIS "Light", but it's actually quite powerful once you figure out what buttons to push and where your data goes. I am currently taking an online class at Esri called a Mooc ( Massive Open Online Course) in Spatial Analysis using ArcGIS Online. Check out esri training for more info. https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/

Are you currently in a GIS class? RSVP - Thanks!

0 Kudos