Select MXD layers to publish to service

Jump to solution
05-10-2018 02:40 AM
AndyBills
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am currently creating a separate MXD for each layerthat I want to publish to AGOL as "My Hosted Services."

Do I need to have an MXD per hosted service, or can I have say a "Master MXD" of multiple layers? Meaning I then choose which layers to publish to AGOL?

...Or perhaps I should start off by separating MXDs containing layers I wish to publish as Tiled Service from Feature Service? This would minimise my MXDs and AGOL publishing work.

I am still using ArcGIS 10.3.1 Basic. Hope to soon upgrade to 10.6 when I will also be able to try ArcGIS Pro.

Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Andy,

You can publish each layer individually or as part of a service with multiple layers. Do you want to add all of the layers to the map as individual items or as single layers. Currently, it is easier to find single layers if they are published a separate services, but you can still access all of the layers, and remove any that you don't want in a web map.

How do you plan to use each layer within ArcGIS Online?

-Kelly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Andy,

You can publish each layer individually or as part of a service with multiple layers. Do you want to add all of the layers to the map as individual items or as single layers. Currently, it is easier to find single layers if they are published a separate services, but you can still access all of the layers, and remove any that you don't want in a web map.

How do you plan to use each layer within ArcGIS Online?

-Kelly

AndyBills
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your reply. I think my layers/datasets will be map-specific. I think I am understanding AGOL environment better; I think I prefer to 'complete' a map as an MXD of multiple layers of a single capability (i.e. Tile vs Feature) and publish this - seeing as I will still be able to add/remove individual layers once in the AGOL map.

Thanks again

0 Kudos