Search for ArcGIS Online users

06-29-2020 04:54 PM
Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way you can search for users outside of your organisation on ArcGIS Online and view their profile?  The only way i  know how to do it is to invite Users into a group but i can't see their profile unless they are in the group, even though they are listed as Publicly Visible. Thanks.

##arcgisonline#named user license#profile

Scott
7 Replies
ManuKaur
Esri Contributor

Hello Scott!

You should be able to search for users outside of your organization as long as their security settings allow them and their content to be searched for. Using the search bar located at the top of your ArcGIS Online home page, you can type in the title of one of their items (web map, story map, feature layer, etc) and hit enter. When the result page loads look on the left side of the page under "Filters" and turn off the first filter that says "Only search in 'Your Org Name' ". You will only see this option if your organization allows searching outside the organization.

Under the title of the item a text should say "web map created by xxxx ". The users name will be hyperlinked and you should be able to view their profile. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Manu.  Thanks for the reply.  I'm afraid that doesn't help because i wouldn't know the title of any of the user's items and some haven't created any items at all. 

The need to search for users across the AGOL community is because i work across many different portals with many users who are either employees or contractors to the organisations and its a nightmare trying to keep track of it all, especially when contractors have been signed up just so they can use Collector in the field and some don't even know what organisational account they are a part of.  

It would be great to have one place to search for everyone who has listed their user as publicly visible.

Scott
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any luck? I'm trying to do the same.

0 Kudos
ChristianeQ
New Contributor II

I just found out after trial & error that you can search on your home page:

owner:"(the user name)" 

I was struggling to find a way to search for an external user without having to look for groups or items to link them to. Make sure the filter for display only in your org. is off & it should show the user's publicly visible content. From their you can click their name on any of the items and have the option to see their profile, groups, & content. Hope this helps someone else! 

Scott_Sambell
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Christiane but i'm trying to find information about users who (99% of the time) haven't published content.  In general Publishers know what they are doing.  Its the field workers that i am trying to organise. When i ask what portal they are hosted on or if their profile is publicly visible or if they are allowed to join external orgs,  they generally just stare at me blankly.  I need a way to find them and troubleshoot how to get them into the groups i need to add them to.

Scott
0 Kudos
LinkElmore_TNC
New Contributor II

I have this same situation and same question.  Seems like some basic functionality.  I'm surprised it's not a prominent feature.

0 Kudos
ErinGilbert1
New Contributor

I also need to be able to do this. I'd like to invite users to a group, but don't know their username and need to verify they are the right person by viewing their profile.

0 Kudos