Restrict Scale level of a web map?

11-02-2012 06:28 AM
JamesAshton
New Contributor III
Hi folks,

I have not come across the ability to restrict the scale of a web map. For example most of the layers and information I have in the map are national extent and county level detail. Thus an appropriate (and affordable) cache level seem to be about level 11 (Metropolitan Area) - so I do that and everything works slick -

But when users are in the web map or the app that contains the web map they can zoom into a larger scale and the information that has been presented from all other smaller scales vanishes because the cache is not there for those detailed levels.

What am I missing? If I turn on feature service then I take up more credits, and have to add both the feature and tiled mapservice, because I want to display fast at small scales.

I would like to be able to "restrict" the scale level of my web map to (Metropolitan Area) 1:288,895.277 ie so you cannot zoom in further where the cache is not present - or have a way display the map service dynamically at the scales that are not cached?

Thanks,

james
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Currently, there is no option to control the scale range of the web map. It's on the list of enhancements but it requires changes across all client apps to respect this setting. Currently scheduled for early next year.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianCrumpler
New Contributor III
Mike - is there any timeframe for this year (ie. Q1, Q2, etc) when this functionality would be added?  This is a critical component, especially for webmaps that use cached images.  In the desktop product, the cached images still load when zoom in beyond the smallest scaled cache layer.  However when looking at the webmap - especially through a webmap shared to the mobile android/iOS tools for ArcGIS Online, the GPS will zoom you in beyond the smallest map cache.

It would be very helpful to stop the zoom scale at the lowest scale of the webmap - essentially saying this is the best resolution on this webmap that you will see regardless of whether GPS is used or not.

This has a  number of critical applications because any cached layers in ArcGIS Online for Organizations currently require users to build cache scales all the way to the lowest cache scale if/when viewed on the mobile app otherwise it disappears from the view.

I hope this helps / makes sense, but resolving this will be a critical component for encouraging people to build and/or use cached services.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, it has slipped off of the list. You can promote the idea at ideas.arcgis.com.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JamesAshton
New Contributor III
Here is the link to vote it up!!!

http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004TAYIA2

James
0 Kudos
JamesAshton
New Contributor III
We have a work around for this - I though I should post.

Creating a "blank" hosted tiled map service with the same level of detail as your other hosted services and using it as the base map.

See here:

http://aafc.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c225cc78d5b142d58eacefae91cc535b

James
0 Kudos