Select to view content in your preferred language

Restrict editing to members of a group

07-02-2013 10:53 AM
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
I have a hosted feature service that is shared with everyone.  It's shared with everyone in a web map and a web application.  Is there any way to limit editing of the service to invited members of a group owned by the owner of the feature service?  If I enable editing from the details page of the feature service does that enable editing for anyone who can find the service and add it to their own web map or is editing limited to named users in an organization?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
the sharing state of the hosted feature service determines who can see and edit it. If you share it with everyone, then everyone will be able to see and edit it. If you only share it with a group, then only members of that group will be able to see and edit it. You can share the feature service with everyone and disable editing. The owner of the item or an admin of the organization can navigate to the item details page of the feature service and click Open>Open with full editing control. This overrides the disabled editing for the owner/admin for that session.

Thanks,

Mike
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick reply.  You confirmed for me what I assumed to be the case with editing and sharing.  We have a feature service shared with everyone that is part of a public web app and I was hoping I could limit editing to a couple of named users who are not the owners of the feature service and are not administrators.  I guess I'll have to transfer ownership to one of them so they can use the option to open with full editing control.  Perhaps a future enhancement could unlink sharing and editing so a feature service shared with everyone could have editing limited to named users or invited members of a group.  Thanks again.
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Are both of you guys talking about feature services coming off of Server to AGOL?

I am looking to restrict editing on layers of an AGOL site shared in a group - but all the layers are zipped shps uploaded to ESRI. Is there a way to turn off the editing capability to those layers?

Thanks,
Jim
0 Kudos