REST URL for Document Link

Jump to solution
01-21-2016 10:46 AM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Good day all,

From My Content I selected Add Item > From the Web (chose Document) and entered the url to my document which is a csv file. This worked fine and AGOL created a Document Link to my csv file. Selecting View Item Details gives only one option under the Open tab (that being Open). It gives the choice of Open/Save/Save As. I could have swore I clicked open and it opened the csv file in Excel but then in IE it opened a new tab which displayed the REST URL for the document link.

I cannot find nor get back to that REST URL now. So I'm thinking that maybe it was for something else and that maybe document links do not have REST URL's?? Someone tell me if I'm out to lunch here, it is close to lunch time and I haven't eaten today, so very possible.

Thanks!

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP

Chris,

If you are adding an item already on the web ArcGIS Online will not create a REST URL for that item since it is already hosted somewhere...you are essentially using ArcGIS Online to point to the other URL.  If you do want a REST URL to be generated for your CSV choose Add Item > From my computer to upload the file to AGOL.  Once uploaded go to the item details page, share with everyone, and the the REST URL should appear.

Hope this make sense,

Kyle

View solution in original post

12 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

Chris,

If you are adding an item already on the web ArcGIS Online will not create a REST URL for that item since it is already hosted somewhere...you are essentially using ArcGIS Online to point to the other URL.  If you do want a REST URL to be generated for your CSV choose Add Item > From my computer to upload the file to AGOL.  Once uploaded go to the item details page, share with everyone, and the the REST URL should appear.

Hope this make sense,

Kyle

ChrisHolmes

Thanks Kyle. Yes it does make sense. So if you have a document link, which in my case is a csv file on a web server which gets regularly updated, how would you go about mapping that data in AGOL?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
  1. Open a new web map select Add > A Layer from the Web.
  2. Change the drop down on the Add Layer from Web dialog to A CSV File.
  3. Paste the URL for the CVS file in box.
  4. Click ADD LAYER.

Do note that only point data can be added using this method.

ChrisHolmes

Super. Thanks again Kyle.

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

So, I did the Add Layer From Web, entered the url to my sample csv file, clicked the "Add Layer" button and nothing happens, the form just closes, no message no nothing. The url to the csv file is a .biz domain, I can't imagine that would have any effect on it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

What type of geographic information is in the CSV?  You can only add data using lat/long coordinates or address information.

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

It's Lat/long and it did work fine when I downloaded the file and used Add Item > Item from my computer (from My Content).

Chris

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

On the Add Layer from Web did you change the drop-down from the default "An ArcGIS Server Web Service" to "A CSV File"?

0 Kudos
ChrisHolmes

Yes.

0 Kudos