Renaming a Service Layer after publishing to ArcGIS Online?

12-01-2014 03:12 AM
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I have a few feature services named with umlauts (ä,ü,ö,ß) in AGOL. I am curious if there is a way to change the layer name via the service definition rather than republishing the entire service, as it would save precious time.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidBlanchard
Esri Contributor

Although we don't provide a user interface to do this, you can always edit the Hosted Features Service schema on the admin services page. You will find instructions on accessing your admin page and editing the schema in this blog post:

Updating Hosted Feature Services in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

The name of a layer is defined in two places, once for the layer name, and once for the template name. Simply do a search for the name of your layer and you should find both easily. If you find entries that contain more then your layer name (e.g. "db_3111.user_3111.MyData_MyLayer") do not modify these as they are references to tables in the database.

Please note that this is not a risk free procedure, there is always a chance something will go wrong when editing a schema. Please make sure you will be able to republish your service if something goes wrong.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would suggest republishing your layer if you need to update the layer name at the service level. The layername at the item level is editable.

-Kelly

0 Kudos