Remove duplicate labels on a Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online

05-25-2017 05:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How can I remove duplicate labels on a Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online?

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In case you have authored the layer in ArcGIS Desktop, You could control duplicate labels while authoring. Working with duplicate labels—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Not sure of any option on AGOL though.

Think Location
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you share your web map? If the duplicate labels weren't a result of how the data is created, check to see if there are two layers with labels in the map. If there is only one operational layer, try expanding the basemap layer to see if there are any reference layers displaying:

Choose basemap—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

Any more advice on this? I had set up my layers to remove duplicate label in Pro and then published from there, but then that setting was not maintained in my feature layer and I have too many labels.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I know, there is still no option to "remove duplicate labels". But maybe there is now a way to do this by using an Arcade Expression...?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Are there duplicate values in your dataset or has the layer been added multiple times to the web map?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your answer.

There are no duplicated features in my layer and the layer has not been added multiple times in the web map.

Here is an example of the scenario:

- There is a (1) Hosted Feature Layer added to my web map which contains say 20 features / parcels.

- Each parcel has an individual Object ID, and other attributes in a series of fields.

- There is also a field containing ownership information.

- Multiple features/parcels can have the same ownership information.

- If I want to display ownership labels for each parcel, therefore, my map will display multiple times the same owner's name wince multiple parcels have the same ownership attribute.

I would like to be able to remove the duplicated owner names from the labels and display the name only once even if the name comes up multiple times in my attribute table. This is possible when using "remove all duplicates" in ArcGIS Pro Labeling Properties and in ArcMap as well. I would rather not have to remove the repeated owner's names from my attribute table or merge features.

Please let me know if this is of any help, or if I am making things more confusing...

Thank you!

Alix

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Alix,

This is helpful. There isn't the capability to remove duplicate labels in web maps currently in ArcGIS Online. I've made not of your workflow for consideration for the future, but would suggest logging this on the ideas site so others can promote the idea and share their workflows.

-Kelly

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds good thank you Kelly!

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I was curious if it was possible, or if there are plans to make it possible to remove duplicate labels in ArcGIS Online through Arcade?

Here is my example - my organization helps to manage the Open Space layer for the state of Massachusetts. In some cases, a Wildlife Management Area (for example) can be composed of multiple parcels. Each parcel within Open Space has a Site Name, on which I want to label the features. I've used an Arcade expression to only label features over a certain acreage, but in some cases a WMA can be composed of multiple very large parcels, so this doesn't really work well.

It would be great if there was a way to remove duplicate labels using Arcade. If we were able to specify a search distance, similar to how you do this in Maplex, I think it would be really helpful.

I've also attached a screen capture of my web map where I am trying to do this, just so you can see how messy it looks.

Thanks!

Erica

Erica