"Other" Feature type in ArcGIS Online/Collector

01-26-2019 08:19 AM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

We are utilizing ArcGIS Online and Collector to capture field data.  We try and limit the number of features on a map to those applicable to the data being collected so a user does not need to scroll through a long list in collector and minimize errors.  At the bottom of the feature list we always include an "Other" feature so the the user can select the appropriate feature type manually to capture that one-off feature.  The point type for the "Other" feature is set to blank or No Value.

Once you select "Other" you can select the blank POINT_TYP field and chose from the domain list of about 200 values.

Everything works fine until we make a change to the map from ArcGIS Online such adding an additional default point to be displayed on the map.  After adding the additional point we can only select from the items listed as feature type rather than the domain list available for the POINT_TYP field and can no longer utilize the "Other" category.  Screen shots below are from a different map as I do not want to break the one above.

Selecting POINT_TYP no longer displays the field domain list but rather features on the map

One item I did just notice is the POINT_TYP field is now set to required even though it is not on the original map. If we make the changes from ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro and republish the map the problem does not occur.  Only when making a change from ArcGIS Online to the map.  Unfortunately, we are normally in the field when making these changes and using mobile device which limits us to ArcGIS Online.

Here are the settings for the POINT_TYP field in the Feature Layer, note nulls are allowed and not required

Also if you now try and create a feature with an empty POINT_TYP from ArcGIS Online you receive the error below. 

It is probably something simple I am doing wrong when adding the additional point(s) to cause this error but reached the point where I cannot figure it out.  Any input?

Running ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1, ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 and Collector 18.1.0

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

After evaluating this again, apparently AGOL and Collector now support the full domain list for features published using Types (Unique symbols).  Previously, only the feature types published to the map were available to collect for selection.  Newer releases of AGOL still only display the symbology as published in the map but you can select any value in the domain when adding a point.  If "Other" point types are enabled in the symbology, they will be displayed as well on your map. 

0 Kudos