"Keep track of created and updated features" Feature Layer Setting

Jump to solution
03-06-2017 01:10 PM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  I am unable to find much information on the "Keep track of created and updated features" setting for a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online.  I'm looking for anything on what exactly is tracked and how it is used or can be used. 

I'd appreciate any information or a link to information in addition to the sentence or two in the ArcGIS Online help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary, very astute! The new tracking capability essentially allows for applications to 'query' for changed features (including added or removed). It's not a historical log of edit transactions with the feature layer, however. 

No apps currently use the capability (that I am aware at least) but are expected to soon (AGOL itself likely will as well in one of the next releases). As apps leverage this feature, expect to hear more. Despite no current usage, we wanted to make the capability available as some apps may be using it before the next Online release.

Hope this helps clarify-

Chris

View solution in original post

11 Replies
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi Mary,

Hope this link is what you're looking for:

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Thanks,

Xiaolong

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Thank you for the link.  However, that's the link I've already reviewed and doesn't seem to provide the in-depth information I'm trying to find. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

See more details in Enable editor tracking on a feature layer—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

But there is a known bug due to which you won't be able to enable track edits for hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online.

NIM102295: If the editor tracking fields (Creation Date, Creato.. 

Bug NIM102295

If the editor tracking fields (Creation Date, Creator, Last Edit Date, Editor) are present in a hosted feature service, Track Edits cannot be enabled on the feature service in ArcGIS Online.

Think Location
MaryEllen_Perko

Hi.  Thanks for everyone's help so far.  I may be making this more complicated than it is, but I'm looking for why and how to use the AGOL setting in the red box below. It doesn't appear to be necessary to track the who and when of edits.  If I’ve simply missed it in the links already provided, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Manage Hosted Feature Layers - Keep track of created and updated features

Check Keep track of created and updated features to track changes made to the hosted feature layer's spatial and nonspatial attributes.

Keep track of created and updated features allows applications to determine what features have been added, updated, or deleted.

If you enable Keep track of created and updated features, you cannot subsequently overwrite the hosted feature layer. 

Think Location
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary, very astute! The new tracking capability essentially allows for applications to 'query' for changed features (including added or removed). It's not a historical log of edit transactions with the feature layer, however. 

No apps currently use the capability (that I am aware at least) but are expected to soon (AGOL itself likely will as well in one of the next releases). As apps leverage this feature, expect to hear more. Despite no current usage, we wanted to make the capability available as some apps may be using it before the next Online release.

Hope this helps clarify-

Chris

AllysonReynolds2
New Contributor II

Is there any way to disable this, once enabled?

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Allyson - yes, unless you have a tile layer (with automatic tiles enabled) published from the feature layer, you should be able to disable. If not, there might be something going on.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ChadMinteer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris Whitmore, 18 months later is there a way to tell which apps use this capability?  Looking for ways to leverage this, but first have to understand it better.  I'm not able to find documentation which helps explain this, we still have the same ArcGIS Online help article that Jayanta Poddar‌ mentions above, no more info than that still that I can find.  Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I can't find it.