"Enable pop-up" missing in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
05-12-2015 09:21 AM
DavidStefan
New Contributor III

I have added a map from our ArcGIS server to our ArcGIS Online account. The map has been created in Desktop 10.1 but saved as a 10.0 version copy to be compatible with our 10.0 server.

I can see all layers with features in the webmap viewer but cannot enable pop-ups to display feature information. When I navigate to the layer on which I want to enable the pop-ups, clicking on the arrow next to the layer name shows only "Hide in Legend" and "Description" options.

I have made sure that the "Shape" field is visible in the layer (Can't enable pop-ups on this layer in a map ), I re-published the .mxd file, cleared the REST cache, but to no avail.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I have had to publish layers as feature services to allow pop-ups.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Did you try and expand the layer? Click on the layer name in your table of content and see if it expands.

0 Kudos
DavidStefan
New Contributor III

I have and it does not expand.

I have now tried a different approach - I have added a separate layer from the map into My Content and then added that layer into a new map in ArcGIS Online. Pop-ups are now enabled and all seems to work as expected. The problem is that the map from the original .mxd file has around 40 layers and adding all into an on-line map will be very laborious. My question at this point is why can I not enable pop-ups on layers when adding the whole map but I can enable pop-ups on each single layer from this map when added individually?

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

David,

I assume when you mean adding a whole map, you mean publishing it via ArcServer and then yo uadd it to a map in ArcGIS Online?

Tim

0 Kudos
DavidStefan
New Contributor III

Yes, that's what I meant.

I have published the map in ArcGIS Server Manager as a map service, then added the map service from the web in My Content (shows as Map Image Layer) and, lastly, added that layer to a new on-line map. This does not seem to support html pop-ups.

When I add in My Content a single layer from the published map service then the layer shows as a Feature Layer - adding this to a new map does indeed allow to click on the features and pop-ups work as expected.

The annoying implication would be (assuming I have to add each layer to the map individually) that I cannot use the same layers hierarchy that I have in the .mxd file (it seems that there isn't a way to create layer groups in the webmap viewer).

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I have had to publish layers as feature services to allow pop-ups.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos