Proportional Symbol unsupported when serving map to arcgis online

07-01-2015 07:16 AM
audreyhughey1
New Contributor

Here is my problem:

I am trying to upload a point based city layer with proportional symbols that symbolize urban population using hollow hexagons. One city is much larger then the others and I would like it to show in the proportional symbols. I made the map in ArcMap 10.1 and want to share it to my Arcgis organizational account as a service. When I analyze the layer I get the error "Layer uses an unsupported renderer" (error 00085: ArcGIS Help 10.1)

Here is my question:

Is there a way that I can work around this error so I can upload my custom proportional symbols to arcgis online?

-Audrey Hughey

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have moved this thread to ArcGIS Online where you are more likely to get help.  The GeoNet Help place is about help on how to use GeoNet

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Are you sure it has something to do with proportional symbols? Check out this map which uses proportional symbols.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b3edde23b37e49029d057477c37767c9

Edit: I just saw that they apply the proportion after publishing, maybe you could do that?

audreyhughey1
New Contributor

The problem with applying proportional symbols after publishing is that they are still fairly limited in size. My goal in the proportional symbols is to show that the one city is so much larger than the others, also touching on central place theory. With arcgis online you are limited to a max size of 120. If I make that the max and change the others accordingly there is not enough variation in size between the smaller cities to show differences.

0 Kudos