Preserving symbology in ArcGIS Online

03-14-2013 12:13 PM
HansYoo
New Contributor
Is it possible to preserve the symbology of a layer that is created in ArcMap and consumed as a service in ArcGIS Online?  This is also related to that I have with ArcGIS Online which is that I haven't figured out how to normalize a dataset in ArcGIS Online. The fact that I can't interact with my data in the Online environment undermines its usefulness as a tool to disseminate and visualize data for non-GIS users to consume easily.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
If you have an organizational account, you can publish your map document to ArcGIS Online as a hosted tiled map service or a hosted feature service.  The symbology will be brought along with it, as well as any other customizations such as labeling or definition queries.
0 Kudos
HansYoo
New Contributor
Thanks for the response.  I do have an organizational account and I took your advice and tested both methods - publishing as a tiled map service and as a hosted service.  In both cases I ended up with the same result in ArcGIS Online, which is a dataset with NO symbology though in the preview window before publishing it shows up correctly.

Could this result be a function of the fact that my dataset is normalized, has a manual classification and has data excluded?
0 Kudos
heidiihnen
New Contributor
I am having the same issue.  I have uploaded my shape file into my organization account.  I can see the map, but none of the symbology associated with it shows.  How do I fix this?
0 Kudos
AndrewHansford
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

Did anyone find a solution to this? I have custom symbology that I need to take across to AGOL. When shared as a map service it displays the symbology as transparent.

I came across this article:

FAQ: Is it possible to import a symbol from ArcMap to ArcGIS Online?

there is a note attached with FAQ that says:

Note:

Publish the file as a service instead of a map package to maintain the symbology defined in ArcMap.

It would be really useful to load custom symbology up to AGOL

Any assistance would be great

Cheers

Andrew